Sign in to follow this  
jcclink

Canon 7d Mk II Lenses

Hope to be the owner of the new 7d Mk II soon, which means that I have to purchase all new lenses. (Currently using a D300) I know I need a 60 macro, 100 macro & Tokina 10-17. Depending on housing I may be able to use my existing u/w ports. What lenses should I consider for topside photos? Need to cover wide-angle thru 400mm. Thanks.

Edited by jcclink

Hope to be the owner of the new 7d Mk II soon, which means that I have to purchase all new lenses. (Currently using a D300) I know I need a 60 macro, 100 macro & Tokina 10-17. Depending on housing I may be able to use my existing u/w ports. What lenses should I consider for topside photos? Need to cover wide-angle thru 400mm. Thanks.

Wide angle lots of options, I have the 11-16mm Tokina 2.8, but a lot of people swear by the Canon 10-22mm, and theres the new low cost Canon EF-S wide angle as well that seems to be doing all right.

Canon 17-55mm 2.8 is considered a pretty good standard lens, but not cheap. I use the Tamron 17-50mm non-IS and find its a very nice lens if IS isnt vital - the VR version got worse reviews on photozone.

Canon 100-400mm 5.6 is old but pretty cheap as theres so many around. Canon 400mm 5.6 L is best if the long end is most important, but no IS. I currently have the Tamron 150-600mm is you want more and IS, but it has problems on the current 7D - almost certainly will be fine on the mk 2 though, and isnt much good for birds in flight or the like.

After that its probably more about intended subject as far as any gap goes or your budget, or whether full frame is ever likely to be in your future, most of the above are EF-S only lenses. For instance theres several versions of 70-200mm to choose between with Canon alone, depending on budget.

Otara

In addition to the ones Otara mentioned, the new 16-35L is outstanding. If you are on a tighter budget the 17-40 L is hitting the used market in large numbers because folks are stepping up to the new lens. It's a real bargain now and works very well on the 7D. I have the 70-200 f4L IS version and have found it to be an amazing piece of glass that is always in my bag. It's a great boat lens for topside shooting. Not as heavy as the f2.8 version and much less expensive, many think it's sharper too.

Good luck!

Steve

If you are on a tighter budget the 17-40 L is hitting the used market in large numbers because folks are stepping up to the new lens. It's a real bargain now and works very well on the 7D.

Agreed. The 17-40L is a great lens, it has been a workhorse for lots of land photographers, I've used it for years. excellent contrast pas f/5.6, absolutely no flare. the 40 end was not excellent but everything between 18 and 35 was very good.

Some techies tended to go for the 16-35L but tests showed that it wasn't worth the upgrade esp on DX sensors, both were excellent,. I don't know for the new 16-35L IS, but it's a diffrent budget. the good thing for the 17-40 is that it's also a good lens for blue water shots with sharks or other pelagics.

95% of my topside shots are with the 24-105mm f4L. It has image stabilization and is the sharpest zoom I hav ever used. I rarely use my 17-40mm, and am looing to sell it.

Hal

95% of my topside shots are with the 24-105mm f4L. It has image stabilization and is the sharpest zoom I hav ever used. I rarely use my 17-40mm, and am looing to sell it.

Hal

I used it a lot on my old 5D, but it's definitely a full frame lens, sharp but very prone to flare, plus the hood was a real pain in the neck.

I have seldom used it on my 7D because on DX sensor, 24-105 equals 38-170, 38 is never wide enough and 170 is too long. It also depends on what type of photo you're doing, I'm mainly doing street and travel photos, often with people as main subjects.

Edited by Luko

Sigmas 8-16, 17-70, 70-200, 120-300 and Canon 10-22. Sigma x2 TC.

Edited by Timmoranuk

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements