Sign in to follow this  
globaldiver

Length of light arms on Gates housing

I am planning to buy "Ultra-Light" light arms to my Gates PD-170 housing. I will initially use the two 10W HID UK light cannons that I already have.

Is the 12" length of the arms the best way to go, or does anyone have some good advice regarding this subject?

Anders

I'm just an amateur, but for me, long arms were more hassle than benefit. I no longer use my 8" Ultra-light arms and just use the ball and connector .

I use a short arm segment to lift the ball mounts above the housing, then use single 8" or 12" arm segments. Having the inner mounts high allows you to swing the light heads through a wider range of motion IMO. I think 8" is probably fine.

I sort of have the same layout as Craig. Have a second segment give you more choice to play with light position. Obviously more things to deal with and you'll have to get some sort of buoyancy on it if it's too heavy

I will check the arms at the scuba show in Long Beach tomorrow.

Gates recommended 12" arms for this housing and port (WP35) but I will see how it looks.

Thanks for your input so far.

Sincerely

Anders :D

Two Ultralight 8" arms with adapters and clamps purchased today. After closer consideration I opted for the 8" arms instead of the longer 12". This system is going to fit perfectly.

Thanks for all your advice and input.

Sincerely

Anders

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements