Sign in to follow this  
sideshow_Gary

advice sought 16-35mm or 17-40mm

Hello all

I'm torn, im thinking of getting a new lens for my Canon 6D and im searching the internet for good advice on a choice of lens, Sorry if this has already been covered if it has a link would be greatly appreciated,

The big problem is which wide angle lens

Canon 16-35 L f/2.8 II

Canon 17-40 L f/8

or perhaps i could be persuaded with stellar reviews of the 14mm L f/2.8 II Prime lens

if there are any other lens i missed, (full frame and Canon mount EF)

www.kenrockwell.com has some great reviews on lenses but topside only

ohh i just found a good link

http://www.seacamusa.com/lenses-ports-domes/canon-16-35mm-ii-lens-test/

if any one has anything to contibute that would be goood

Gary

This has been hashed around here quite a bit, do some forum searches.

All are good; the Sigma 15mmFE is also a favorite for full frame, focuses close and is very sharp; I think it's a copy of an older Canon lens design. The Canon 8-15FE is pretty cool too.

Personally, I'm much happier with primes than zoom on full-frame.

Jack

I haven't been happy with zooms either. I am curious if anyone has tried the new 16-35 f4 L. It has gotten great reviews. Looking for a replacement for the awful 17-40.....

I have been using the new 16-35 IS for a few months now and find it to be highly satisfactory. I have not shot any of the lenses listed in post #1 but I gather there are issues when using these lenses for underwater photography. Here are two shots of Coho Salmon from the previous two days. The head-on flash shot was done in water too shallow for the Superdome so I used a Seacam Wideport and 65mm of port extension. The other is a 1600 ISO available light shot - the sun was barely above the ridge next to the stream and was blinking on my subjects as it passed between trees. The available light shot was done with a Seacam Superdome and 65mm of port extension. I began using the lens with 55mm of extension then tried 60mm and am now using 65mm. The differences are slightly better with the longer extension.

I hope this helps.

Tom

post-3540-0-46242900-1413752242_thumb.jpg

post-3540-0-44013800-1413752282_thumb.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements