nuclearhokie

Good Nikon FX Format WA Lens?

Aloha All,

Now that I have finally convinced my budget office (spoken wife) to allow me to purchase a new Nikon D810 I find that I will probably also need to get a new WA lens to replace my old Tokina 10-17 that I have been using with my D300 for years. What are some good options for WA lens or lens with diopter combo for an FX format camera? Thanks for the advice.

Chris

AF-S 16-35mm f/4 ED and the 16mm fisheye are my go to lenses for Nikon FX DSLR UW photography

With regards to the 15mm, is there any real difference between one designated "DG" and one that isn't for underwater use? I understand that designation refers to coatings on the glass designed for digital cameras, mainly to reduce flare.

Having just moved to FX, I will probably sell my Tokina 10-17, zoom gear, and Zen DP100 mini dome and get the Sigma 15 or 16-35 & a larger dome before Socorro in a couple months.

Edited by CamelToad

I agree with Alex: 15mm Sigma fisheye and the ultrasharp Nikon 16-35 F/4 G ED VR

Chris

Another vote for 16-35 and sigma 15 combo. The larger the dome the better.

Make that yet another vote for the Sigma 15mm and the Nikkor 16-35.

I was using the 16-35 in my Subal housing with the Subal 8"domeport. Cracking lens but sadly I found the edges were pretty soft even with a +2 diopter/EXR90 (as Subal recommended) and stopped down. I've just bitten a chunky bullet and ordered a 9" dome. Ouch.

Worth starting work on the business case with the Budget Office.....

Edited by TimG

When I got the 9.25" Aquatica dome I noticed improved corner definition.

16-35mm & 15mm gets my vote as well.

The 16-35mm needs a really big Domeport!

Picked up the 15mm Sigma for my D800... now just need to decide what dome to get for it -- Zen glass vs Nauticam acrylic. Probably going with the 200mm Zen.

Need to sell my Zen Dp100 dome, Tokina 10-17, and Zoom gear as well.. fun :)

Well as soon as the budget office approves I'm going to grab the zen 9" dome the sigma 15mm and the nikon 16-35. And a scooter to help move it all on the reef.

Any good FX lens good for CFWA? When i was shooting DX with the tokina 10-17 and nikon 10-24, i was quite happy with the ability to use small domes (4" and 6" respectively). I don't like big domes :-/

Sigma 15mm 2.8 fisheye has, in effect, the same minimum focus distance as the Tokina 10-17.

I didn't want to use my Zen 100mm dome with the Sigma, as I didn't want to shave the lens hood off, and after weighing the pros and cons as well as speaking to some knowledgable folks (Thanks Jack at OOS), I chose the 170mm Zen glass dome.

Sigma 15mm 2.8 fisheye has, in effect, the same minimum focus distance as the Tokina 10-17.

I didn't want to use my Zen 100mm dome with the Sigma, as I didn't want to shave the lens hood off, and after weighing the pros and cons as well as speaking to some knowledgable folks (Thanks Jack at OOS), I chose the 170mm Zen glass dome.

Good to know, thanks

I use the Hugyfot 124mm fisheyeport minidome with the Sigma 15mm and my D800.
Using openings higher than F/8 soft corners are acceptable to more than good.
A bigger dome may give better corner sharpness but it's is simply too bulky (and too expensive) for me and all my travels

Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer

Rectilinear wide-angle on Nikon Full Frame cameras is a challenge!

I have been using a ZEN 170mm dome with a Tokina 17mm (not the 10-17mm) with some pretty acceptable results. It needs a 20mm extension

With the 16-35mm, and if you value corner sharpness, the only answer is to use a very large (9") dome.

For fisheye, I did try a shaved Sigma 15mm with a 4" dome with my D800, but thought the results were poor. The new Zen 140mm dome with the Sigma 15mm would seem to be the best compromise.

Adam

I have a trip to Socorro coming up fairly soon, and will be taking my Sigma 15mm, Zen 170mm dome, extension ring 20, and a Kenko 1.4 TC, so I will be able to try both combinations with my D800. Edge sharpness wont be so important there, I wouldn't think, since mostly blue around the mantas and such. We'll see.

Took my D800, Sigma 15mm, and Zen 170mm dome for a test dive today at a fresh-water quarry. It was gloomy and chilly out, with no sun out at all (and pretty silty), but I can tell already this is a really nice combination. Really good detail, focuses quickly, and can do over-unders pretty well (though not as easily done as with a larger dome).

The Sigma 15mm fisheye will allow you to be close to (and easily hit) things with it, so keeping some situational awareness will be important using this lens/dome combo.

Sponsors

Advertisements