Jojolcuisto

Macbook pro retina and photos editiding or PC

Hello folks !!

I am gona go to Hong Kong soon and my laptop is at the end of his glorious life :(
So i am planning to invest into a new laptop.

I am traveling pretty often and plan to travel more and more, so i definitly need a laptop !!
( i bought little more than a year ago an external monitor... but its almost dead too... >> 1/3 of the screnn is going into redish color...).

I was first planning to get a Macbook pro and "his wonderfull" retina !! But the think is... the more i surch about it... an the more it doesnt look " for me" to be the best choice.

My use of the laptop will be mostly pictures editing, and gaming too :), internet, moovies and others...

Look like those retina are beautifull to look... and my choice could go to retina mat to avoid the reflection !!
BUT, seems like that for editing in purpose of future print... i read that retina might not be the best option !!

The colors rendering is not so "right" even after calibration !! (that what i read...)

So my question is : should i go to a PC that might have about the same "quality of color rendering" than a Macbook pro ??? For a much cheaper price ??
Or still the retina is better than any other kind of laptop screen ???

I know... Editing on a laptop is far to be the best option... Better to have a nice 27' monitor properly qualibrate at home in a nice and stable environment... But no choice... :)

What you guys think about it ??

Can i find a nice laptop 15' with IPS and large gamut on RGB ???

Any idea ?? Any advices ??

I notices some severe color difference between my buddies retina MacBook Pro and my ZBook 17, both calibrated.
As i travel a lot i have this ultrafast HP ZBook 17 and calibrate with a Spyder Pro and the ZBook 15 and 17 are available with IPS panels and HP call them DreamColor.
Lenovo has also Laptops with IPS panels and i had several Lenovo laptops with good quality and lifetime.

I believe that for photography work a fast I7 16GB laptop is fast enough and for light to medium video work also,

rendering big video projects with a lot of effects, titles will be much faster on a dedicated stand-alone pc/mac with specialized hardware.

Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer

For what it's worth, I switched from a PC to a MacBook Pro with retina this past summer. The color thing is a non-issue for me as I'm totally colorblind. Image clarity is more of a relevant issue. I've been pleased with the retina.

I didn't comparison shop much before purchasing the MacBook Pro. The digital printing outfit I use to print my photos uses Macs. When I edit on my MacBook Pro, view the photos I'm having printed on one of the firm's big Mac monitors and have the images printed on high quality paper, the photos look exactly how they look on the monitors.

Since I'm colorblind, my wife is my color editing resource. She really likes the retina on the MacBook.

I've got some video footage that needs to be edited, but I've not messed with it yet.

-AZTinman

For travel we use a Macbook Air, mostly because I am getting old enough that carrying the Macbook Pro (plus all the other crap) is getting tough. :dancing: For editing in LR, the colors seem to be fine; when I take them home to my iMac no corrections are necessary

Bill

Jojolchuiso,

another thought as a well traveled computer geek.

I used initially one high-end laptop, carrying it wherever i needed computer access to run my business (also for shopping tours to the next city).

This basically means that you will put your beautiful expensive machine in a rather high risk to theft, drop, water and dust, etc.

After i bought a tablet mainly for reading books during long flights and layovers i started to love to carry this "cheap",handy, small and light tool

and usually i don't carry my notebook anymore for short trips except i need it to visualize and maybe modyfiy photos and videos.

Unfortunately IPad or Android tablets are not very comfortable due their limited space and lack of speed to edit RAW photo and video files what makes them not very useful

for video/photographic use.

This situation changed dramatically when Microsoft unveiled their new SURFACE PRO 3 tabletpc and i have to admit that this "thing" is expensive but the perfect hybrid

between a notebook and a tablet. You will get whatever you need, speed, storage space, connectivity, Windows 8.1, and a excellent pen for retouching.

A Surface Pro 3 can somehow replace a notebook but it makes it not very comfortable, but it is a excellent tool for people who need/want to do strong stuff off the grid.

Chris

I really, really want to like the surface pro 3, but for the price I think the macbook air is almost identically priced, and I really don't like win 8 so much. I think that at $1200 all your arguments about theft etc. are the same for a laptop vs. the surface pro 3. What I really want is a way to simply attach an external drive to my iPad, but I think Apple doesn't want to kill the laptop business by making that easy.

Bill

I just bought a MacBook 13" Pro Retina. Notice little or no color difference between it and my 25" professional calibrated monitor.

I guess they are talking about a 12" IPad, and I looked at the Air, but for the extreme speed difference and capability vs. the maybe 3/4# difference in weight I went for this little speedster. I think it's the fastest machine I own now...

Jack

I've got a 15" Retina for work and for travel I've got a 11" Air - both are great for photo (aperture) and video editing (fcpx) although on the Air I do run proxies just to help it out a bit :-)

Perhaps now I would look at a 13" Pro with Retina, but I love being able to slip the Air in my LowePro Hatchback.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What about the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro? it seems to tick many boxes including QHD resolution, computing power and weight. It looks very nice in the store but has anybody got some real life experience with photo and video editing?

First at all, i would like to thank you all guy for advises and point of view !

I am in Hong Kong, and finally took a Mac book pro ! Retina 15'' SSD 256, 8mb ram, i7 2.0 quadricore.

I will be back soon in the Philippines (i hope actually... there is a typhoon coming... And for sure flight will be delated or cancel :( ), anyway ones i am home i can calibrate it with the spider pro and will see how it is :)

Will be back to keep you in touch :) And post a few shot... I have a few shot i still didn't edit yet !

Anyway tks at all for the help !!
Cheers,

Edited by Jojolcuisto

When you are travelling then there is no other way than carring laptop for any task. And yes its the perfect choice to ise Mac Book pro for editing task. Otherwise in normal situation I would like to do my editing task in desktop PC.

Edited by jannatul18
  • Like 1

Sponsors

Advertisements