thetrickster

Anyone used a 'Deeproof Housing Carrier' with a FlexiTray?

I emailed DiverVision and provided specification of the FlexiTray II and they said they could provide one to fit (Handles 28cm apart, not like the big FullFrame housings which are 35cm++ apart)

I'm out by 93€ - lets see if the gamble pays off! :)

93€? It seem like a perfect candidate forma a DIY project :)

Actually even a pro metal worker could ask far less.

BTW the external span of my flexy tray is 35cm. I was looking a new box for my housing so I measured it.

davide@mobile

93€? It seem like a perfect candidate forma a DIY project :)

Actually even a pro metal worker could ask far less.

Yeah 93€ might seem steep, but that includes delivery.

I did think about getting one made up, but thought lets give this a go first.

I've got a 3D Printer, but that only prints up to 20cm, so couldn't make one on that..

• Like 1

I have thought about fabricating something similar, but see two potential problems. One, what do you do if you use the cold shoe to mount a focus light? A little bit of fore/aft offset might be possible I suppose but would it be enough? Two, it looks like the mount requires the ball fixtures to give up their cozy recessed mounting position. Mechanically maybe not an issue with two screws, but inelegant.

I am inclined to use something like a longer length of something more flexible (plastic coated wire rope? poly rope?) attached with stainless clips over the necks of the ball fixtures. Anyone have a better idea?

Yeah, I've had to go with the different type of ball arms (the ones with 4 holes and round base) (and the additional flat bases....)

As to Focus Light - you are completely right this could be a problem (not with camera till Saturday)- but as you can see there are 3 mounting points on this carrier so, if needed I can get something to screw to this and then clip on focus light on. The righthand side I've will put a ball joint on for the Ninja.

Finally got home to see if indeed it was the right size :)

Had to buy some more Nautical pieces (3 flat bottom ball joints and 2 mounting bases)

Bneed to spend some more money, as as predicted cold shoe can't be used, so need a YS female base that can screw directly into a M5 bolt hole)

But super happy with the result. Compared to trying to make something - or upgrade to the NA-GH4.

post-43742-0-39697000-1417798829_thumb.jpg

post-43742-0-19100700-1417798833_thumb.jpg

post-43742-0-90358800-1417798837_thumb.jpg

post-43742-0-20135700-1417798844_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Richard,

I don't know if that setup it's well balanced underwater.

Thinking to my dive style I could not keep the monitor on the top of the housing. Would be a sail.

Moreover, respect to the classic camcorder shape I find keeping it steady very difficult. A camera is not designed for video shooting.

I would prefer a configuration like this:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53795&page=4&do=findComment&comment=354915

It seems somenone wrote about this in some thread

With the monitor behind the camera: much more streamlined and (more important) balanced for steady shots.

I use a scooter even when I do not need it. The camera is rock steady :)

post-32954-0-76129400-1417803969_thumb.jpg

Davide,

I agree about it might be top heavy. Have lots of mounting options now (I wish there was a ball joint on the top of the ninja too - or at least holes to screw one in) so once I'm back in the water I can get it balanced. At least now the handles are very strong. The Carrier was definitely worth the 90€!

Yeah the long camcorder style definitely lends to better balance. I have the DiveXtras deluxe camera mount for my DPV too. But my local centre isn't happy with me having all that kit on the boat at one time. LOL

Edited by thetrickster
  • Like 1

I've emailed ReefPhoto already about that cheeseboard plate - but no answer yet.

I can see that adds a lot Alu to the unit (tray + this) thou

It would be good, if they did a new FlexiTray - BUT with the plate already intergated. That would save all that excess, as the camera could bolt straight to that and the arms also... I wish I was mechanically minded and had the skills to make all this stuff :D

Looking at the FlexiTray base - Looks like a relativity easy modification.. to get a tray on the back of it...

post-43742-0-67815600-1417890417_thumb.jpg

So looks like the nauticam balls fit on top of the handle's attatchment, where you screw it in on top of the grips?

I have the rig at work. Will take some photos for you in a few hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsors

Advertisements