Sign in to follow this  
Storker

GoPro/still camera combo?

I'm not very happy with the occasional videos I get from my OM-D E-M5, so I'm considering mounting a GoPro on top of my NA-EM5. That way, I could just let the GoPro run during the whole dive, and just edit out the uninteresting parts afterwards.

If I go the way of the GoPro, I'll probably be mounting the GoPro in the cold shoe on my NA-EM5, since I've already used the tray handle and the M10 screw mount for my strobes, and my lanyard makes it impractical to use a three-way clamp. Here's the setup I'm thinking of: http://fotografit.eu/products/106-mounts---accessories/1523-cold-shoe-gopro-mount-kit/

Good idea or bad idea?

I have done something similar by attaching a GoPro on my Aquatica housings for Canon 5D III and Sony MC50E eventhough I use the main camera for shooting video!

Benefits:

- The GoPro has a slightly wider angle of view so occasionally there might be better composition

- Whilst shooting continuously with GoPro, one might catch an event that otherwise might have been missed with the main camera

- I can film myself. For example in caves and wreck corridors you can get additional continuity and variety this way

- It is easier to take sneaky sideviews of accompanying divers

- The GoPro footage acts as additional insurance in case I manage to have a mishap focusing the main camera (see further below)

Drawbacks:

- One additional u/w casing to take care of. The GoPro is actually so cheap, that it is easy to become a bit complacent with it. I flooded one due to my own error

- The GoPro always runs out of battery before end of dive. My typical dive is 90-100 minutes in cold water.

- The image quality is not very good in low light and consequently the additional GoPro footage is rarely used

- Hundreds of GB of additional storage requirement.

- The hassle of charging additional batteries

Due to these drawbacks, I eventually gave up shooting with the add-on GoPro.

However, recently I really regretted this when I was the video shooter for an unknown submarine and I managed to shoot almost all of the footage slightly out of focus!

Its all about what environment you are divig in... if its mostly caves .. then I will forget about the GoPro attached to camera set up. As you Wil need lights... lots of it...

Else... The reef recreational diving.. its good to have.

I have a similar set up... but I sometimes take it ouy and do some shooting of Marco subject at `play`while I take stills on the main camera.

Things to consider before u buy that GoPro. Many if u can think of more then that onr useage for GoPro( for scuba)... u will just buy the GoPro and the othet set up... and keep it when u need it! :)

Btw.. there is way cheaper option then the link u provide... it has its limitation... but still works fine

Its all about what environment you are divig in... if its mostly caves .. then I will forget about the GoPro attached to camera set up. As you Wil need lights... lots of it...

Else... The reef recreational diving.. its good to have.

No caves for me, I'm strictly an open water diver. However, no reefs either, Almost all of my diving is locally, in drysuit country, so light may still be an issue. On my last dive, I needed to go to ISO 800+ and f/4 to get any ambient at all in my background.

Btw.. there is way cheaper option then the link u provide... it has its limitation... but still works fine

I'd love to hear about that option :)

0a49513e524e49daf06aa596180e80dc.jpg

this is from an older set up.

Its a GoPro tripod mount and a hot|cold shoe to quater inch. Combine.

I can't find the link... as I am replying on mobile now. When I do. I will update.

You can't put any focus light on the hot shoe with this option. For that I DIY something that mounts the GoPro on top of my focus light... but it gets tall... but I have ways to turn down the height. As it mounted on the hot shoe as your link shows.

The GoPro used to give the tripod mount with the camera. They stop doing that now.

Get a hero 4 silver... it has a inbuilt LCD.. let u koe how much light you need!! :)

Edited by hellhole

How do you like the GoPro Hero 4 Silver. Any reason why you went to the silver edition rather than the Black. The black is supposed to produce a higher quality footage I think.

The Black records 4K30 and 2.7K60 while the Silver only gets 4K15 and 2.7K30. OTOH, the Silver has an inbuilt LCD screen and retails for ~100$ less. And that's basically all the differences.

If I'm buying, I'l definitely get the Silver. I won't be needing high-speed recording underwater, but an LCD screen would be very nice.

--

Sent from my Android phone

Typos are a feature, not a bug

Edited by Storker
  • Like 1

I have EM5 and Hero 3+ Black. I have tried this combo many times. It's most useful when I am shooting macro and something larger comes by. I have to warn you though, even though EM5's video capability is sub par due to very low bit rate, the color rendition and optical resolution is still way better than the GoPro because of GoPro's small sensor.

The bottom line is, GoPro needs light and a lot of it. If you are just using the GoPro on the side, you may not have lights properly done to accommodate it and the footage will suck. I have hours and hours of crappy quality video that have interesting scenes but too poor to produce a movie with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements