Interceptor121

The end of advanced compacts for underwater photographers?

The end of advanced compact cameras for underwater photography | Interceptor121 Underwater Photo & Video Blog

http://interceptor121.com/2015/01/10/endofadvancedcompacts/

The key strength of having wet lenses and being able to do wide and macro seems to be fading away with larger sensor and brighter lenses

Also some of the new housings and camera are pretty much same price than an ilc set up

Where do we go from here??

Does it really make sense to have developed a port system for those new cameras with fixed lens?

Edited by Atobit

Does it really make sense to have developed a port system for those new cameras with fixed lens?

If you are taking pictures it's unlikely that you will be happy with the flat port only unless you do muck diving every day

So I think having the short port is a must to take some wide shots however at 24mm you can't use a semi fisheye so you are limited to 100+ degrees rectilinear and can't reach anymore the 150 degrees that were the norm with previous type of compact

I am sure that if you place a wet lens on the flat port it will be so soft that nauticam have excluded that option although other vendors like Recsea make no mention of a port system

Good little article Interceptor.

When I read that Nauticam was changing to a port system for the Gx7 I was very disappointed. The only advantage compacts have over micro 4/3 and DSLRs is their versatility. And now that has been taken away.

Not cool man!!

Although Inon did introduce the S100ZM80 + dome for the G15/16. Would this not work with the G7X?

Although Inon did introduce the S100ZM80 + dome for the G15/16. Would this not work with the G7X?

Generally that lens is indicated for zoom over 5x but could possibly work if someone wants to try?

There are issues of image quality shooting at small apertures but I have no idea what nauticam has tested and what not

I also believe recsea has an housing out with m67 port only but they are generally non so thorough testing image quality as long as you can attach a lens

Sponsors

Advertisements