Sign in to follow this  
shinythings

Purchase decision: two S&S YS-110a's or one YS-D1?

I have just recently sold my Ikelite 160s and housing and moved onto an olympus/nauticam mirrorless setup. So that leave me with the question of strobes. I know from some of my buddy's that have the YS-D1 that they are a very nice, compact and relatively powerful strobe and would prefer to buy two of them, but I'm looking at a budget of about $700 for a new strobe(s). So that raises the question: buy 2 used 110a's or 1 new D1???

A little bit about my shooting - I dive mostly cold water with low vis and I haven't shot WA for a very long time (almost exclusively macro, use the kit lens once every 30 dives to so).

Would a model like the YS-01 (which I believe has the TTL feature, a big must for myself) be a better option than just one D1?

Thanks for your insights!!!

I would check the ttl compatibility on the sea and sea website. If your camera doesn't ttl with the 110a I would forget them and the ys01 and go with two ys02 and go manual. With the money you save get a decent focus light. The extra feature on the ys01 is the ttl and aiming light. You won't use that aiming light to aim strobes or as a focus light as it won't be pointed at the subject. I have a ys110a which does not ttl with my camera and I don't miss it at all. I am adding a ys02 next week.

I have a good focus light and video light already (2 SOLAs). Do you find manual shooting frustrating? With my old IKE strobes I found it to be a PITA because of how hard it was to turn the dials.

go with the two SS 110a's. I use them with a Nikon D7000/Ike setup in full manual and don't miss TTL at all. Once you shoot manual I found that you get more consistent photos than relying on the camera to do flash exposure.

I checked compatibility and S&S says that the TTL function is compatible with my EM5... any reason not to trust this?

No none at all just make sure you read the notes. I seem to remember that sometimes there is a note saying firmware upgrade needed. This is a major PITA don't bother.

Go with manual you'll have the hang of it in a couple of dives. Study strobe positioning then the power is easy to sort. I practiced at home in a dark bedroom and in varying light levels, if I couldn't go diving it gave me time to practice my skills

My point of view is that since u shoot exclusively Marco. Go with the d1 as you already have a sola light to help with shadow you will cast when u put the strobe on one side. Then slowly save up... And get the other d1 later

And go manual... :)

Edited by hellhole

I wore out my 2 110a's and now have two D1. The D1 has a lot more light and the knobs are easier to turn with dry gloves. Get one and when you can afford it get another one.

I ended up picking up 2 used Ys-02's for $380 for my upcoming trip next week. For now they should do the job and I'll give manual shooting a try. The S&S strobes have much more ergonomic dial positioning - changing power with my old ikelite 160s was a PITA. I definitely think a transition to YS-D1's would be nice, but I still need to get familiar with the new camera first and add a wide angle lens before they are a must. For now, shooting at high power and complementing light with my video and focus light should get the job done - I hope!

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements