kc_moses

Panasonic LX-100 Nauticam housing

Argh I totally missed this thread, being in the mirrorless section.

Thanks so much for all the great info about this housing! I can't wait to see how you do underwater.

I've been waiting for months for it to finally be released, looking to buy it as my first underwater camera rig. In the meantime I might have already been convinced that the port system is just too complex and limiting for me for my first underwater work. The LX-100 is a great camera on land, but maybe at this stage I need more experience to understand how different options work underwater before I have to lock into a specific port combo before getting in the water.

Thanks again!

i also like the camera but for me the port system is to complicated to work with so i am looking to the Sony RX series.

Smaller and with macro and wide inon lens you have a nice set thats capable of nice results. For me its just fun taking

underwater photos. And in video i am not interested.

:clapping::lol2::dancing:

If you

i also like the camera but for me the port system is to complicated to work with so i am looking to the Sony RX series.

Smaller and with macro and wide inon lens you have a nice set thats capable of nice results. For me its just fun taking

underwater photos. And in video i am not interested.

:clapping::lol2::dancing:

If your interest is still images and you do not want to use a port system then look into the Sony RX100 Mark II

CCCAM,

It really depends on if you're shooting video or photo. If you think you will use it for more video in the future, this camera is more future proof for the next 3-5 years. Yes, the port system could be confusing/challenging for new comers, but it's something that you can learn and understand very quickly.

Just a note about the housing, this happen to me:

The down cursor button could trigger the right button easily. When I press "down" to scroll through the menu, many times it would trigger a "right" press to get into the deeper part of the menu. I'm not sure if it's just my housing since I'm the first consumer in US to get the housing. It's no big deal though as you can use the rear dial to scroll down the menu. When I move to Florida in a couple months, I will have Nauticam look at my housing to see if they could adjust it.

If you look at the lid of the housing, the yellow circle is where the cursor key is and mine could use some adjustment.

NA100_11.jpg

If you have your housing, test the down cursor button. Mine behave the same under or above water.

I guess I am used to SLR port/lens combinations, but the options here are actually pretty limited, and if you simply buy the standard port, will give you much the same performance as the RX100 III for example. It is simply not that complicated! I wouldn't let the fact that there are options change any choice you may make.

In terms of CA and image quality in general, I have found that the SMC and Reefnet diopters are very good.

"Shooting to crop" is, in my opinion, not a great philosophy in either stills or video! The quality and resolution loss is too big a compromise to make. Shoot as if you are planning to use the whole frame, and then any cropping you do will still give excellent quality. Of course, if you witness a scene that means that you have crop, then you can still do so.

I have never seen a pygmy "kiss" a pointer (but have seen guides use their pointers to turn their heads). I get the issue with video lights, just switch them off, let the pygmy turn, hit the shutter and the switch the light on....

Adam

Thanks Adam, will look into Reefnet diopter.

Shoot for cropping is an option for 4K to 1080p down scaling as there is no pixel quality lost. I agree that it's best to plan to shot the way you want to use it. When I tried out the GH4, with uncontrollable movement because of macro and not having a tripod, it's nice that a light bulb comes on and I switch my brain to shoot 4K with possibility of 1080p, so I reframe my subject not too close to the edge to give me room to stabilize and crop during post.

Those who're curious about LX100 or some other camera, this review sums up all (I think!) the features that the camera has, it's quite exhausting to follow because the camera just have that many features!:

Moses

• Like 1

The subsee is only 52mm wide as the adapter is far away from the lens I would check for vignetting. Would expect it to vignette at least until 50mm if not more. If the nauticam is 67mm it would be a safer option

• Like 1

I have the LX100 in my hands and the NA-LX100, 3.5" dome, and flip diopter holder on order. Since I'm off to Bonaire at the end of February I should be ordering a close up lens soon. It's probably too late to hold out for the CMC, so I'm guessing that the best options are the ULC-100 or the Subsee 10?

Any reasons to buy (or not) either of these?

Subsee 10 is known to be more difficult to use because of depth of field issue. Not sure about ULC-100. What kind of macro subjects do you anticipate to shoot? Aquatica and Saga is another option, I haven't look through the forum but you can check it out:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47939

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52369

Edited by kc_moses

I kind of like the Saga + 10 mainly because it's specifically mention that it's "Achromatic". My +5 is Achromatic and there is no CA around the corner. The +7 is not achromatic so it has serious CA problem.

I couldn't find much information about the Saga+10 though.

I found this useful link:http://www.deepshots.co.uk/2013/07/close-up-lens-test-pt2-inon-ucl-100-vs-subsee-10/

The size makes a big difference to me. I never bought the subsee at is big and heavy...and difficult to use. I generally use a ucl-02 FIT. +8 achromat lens. Very thin, good quality...and perfect on the 60mm macro.

F.I.T is another good one, I have the +5 and really like it, but it's not strong enough on the LX100. For the F.I.T +8, it's 43mm at the back and require a stop up ring to 67mm? If that's the case there might be issue on the LX100 with the diopter flip holder.

Here is a good review of the F.I.T +5 and +8 by Alex Mustard:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39600

UCL 100 same power as subsee however it needs to be close to the port or image quality is bad. Size wise is 67mm. Safe bet is nauticam CMC power around 11 so more than subsee and inon. Depth of field gets less as you increase magnification the camera stops at f/16 and the lens is only 75mm so you have around 1.6 cm of working range with 1-2mm dof so pretty tough. Crop or izoom with your current diopter will be an easier option to work with unless you use a tripod

F.I.T is another good one, I have the +5 and really like it, but it's not strong enough on the LX100. For the F.I.T +8, it's 43mm at the back and require a stop up ring to 67mm? If that's the case there might be issue on the LX100 with the diopter flip holder.

Here is a good review of the F.I.T +5 and +8 by Alex Mustard:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39600

Yes I agree I have the +8 one but it is the 67mm version not the 43mm. I think you can order either way.

Nudibranco, I couldn't find 67mm version of FIT +8, I can only find 46mm version in Taiwan and UK, no other place sells it. Do you have a URL?

Panasonix LX100 in Nauticam housing and square zoom port

A quick dive in my pool just before sunset and using my new Fix Neos 2500 video light as light source i discovered that:
a) at 10.9 (24) mm and no diopter there is a rather bad CA

b) at 34 (75) mm and using the SubSee +10 Diopter on the Nauticam Flipmount there is virtually no CA

c) there is a slight vignette in the lower corners using the SubSee +10 diopter

d) at 10.9 (24) mm and minimum focusing distance image is 3.25 inch wide @ 3:2 image factor

f) at 34 (75) mm and the SubSee + 10 diopter picture is 2 inch wide @ 3:2 image factor

g) the whole rig seems to work flawless

h) the Fix Neos 2500DX is a real winner and illuminate the whole field of view

Chris

10.9(24)mm f/16 1/640 sec

LX100At10point9mm.jpg

34(75)mm + SubSee + 10 diopter on Nauticam flip holder

34(75)mm f/16 1/1000 sec

LX100At34mmSubseePlus10.jpg

Edited by ChrigelKarrer

Nevermind, I think I will pass the FIT +8, found interesting information:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=45135

http://www.deepshots.co.uk/2012/02/deepshots-big-underwater-close-up-lens-test/

May be I should get a Subsee+5 for Nudibranch shot (anything around 4-5 cm).

Thanks Chris, so the Subsee +10 allow you to shoot subject around 4.5 cm. Good to know there is very little CA on the Subsee +10. I might consider getting the Subsee +10, for now my +5 and +7 stack together is almost the same as Subsee +10, hmm......

I just receive the short flat port. Will try to do a quick overview during this weekend.

Edited by kc_moses

I had to choose between the Subsee +10 and the Saga +10 and Kevin from Reef said that the quality is equal,
but the Saga +10 is considerable shorter and lighter but 40$ more expensive and not stackable.

As soon i have time to go alone diving to take pictures i will try the Subsee in the sea to get real world macro results.

I have already the flat 67mm treaded port and fortunately i have a old UWL100 here to screw on to try this combination.

If i make in time i may give it a try tomorrow (again) in the pool after i finish to conduct some classes.

Friday i should go to scan for a new wreck here and if we find it i will dive it with my new LX100 rig.

Chris

• Like 1

Good to know Kevin suggest the Subsee +10 over the Saga. Just curious, did you consider the SMC? I just found out about the SMC Multiplier, it looks like you take subject that's a lot smaller. The Subsee +10 would be a mid range lens for me, ideally I want something that can take 1cm subject.

Is the Subsee+10 as difficult to use as people complaint?

Moses,

Kevin said that they have a equal perfomance not that the Subsee is better.

Yes i considered the SMC, but the price of 200+$ more stopped me ...
In this moment i believe that the optical performance of the SubSee +10 is good enough for my use,

if i should go deeper in macro and super macro i may pull the trigger after a extensive test in the sea.

The SubSee +10 was not difficult to use in my pool shooting coins but i guess i will say some bad words when i start to
use this lens her under current and especially the always present surge conditions.

The distance between too near and too far is not very long and this may mace focusing difficult with surge or current.

A good placed and tracking focus and the use of focus peeking may help to get the focus point on the right and desired point.

Chris

On comment a chromatic aberration at 24mm you probably have a mix of ca and pincushion distortion. A flat port with such wide lens is always a problem. For what concerns your subsee shots the magnification seems little. Should be able to do better than that. Did you use the macro focus as that will make a difference of another diopter

• Like 1

I had to choose between the Subsee +10 and the Saga +10 and Kevin from Reef said that the quality is equal,

but the Saga +10 is considerable shorter and lighter but 40$ more expensive and not stackable.

Hi

I agree, the quality of both lens is the same. I prefer the SAGA lens because is smaller and lighter. I don't know about prices where you are based, but normally the price for Saga lens in Europe is lower than Subsee (Saga +10 is 195€).

Also you can stack 2 lenses with this accesory http://www.sagadive.com/product_info.php?cPath=47_205&products_id=921&language=en

Now i'm using the +15 diopter lens. Is a little bit more powerfull than SMC and lighter than the subsee +10.

Cheers

My LX100 can only focus with AF-Macro behind the 3.5" dome port( #38702), is this mentioned in its user guide?

Sponsors

Advertisements