kc_moses

Panasonic LX-100 Nauticam housing

My LX100 can only focus with AF-Macro behind the 3.5" dome port( #38702), is this mentioned in its user guide?

Am not surprised if the glass is really a slice of 3.5" minimum focus distance is 18cm so if you want to use the full zoom you need a +2 diopter

Probably you will get around 40/50 before it stops focussing

Am not surprised if the glass is really a slice of 3.5" minimum focus distance is 18cm so if you want to use the full zoom you need a +2 diopter

Probably you will get around 40/50 before it stops focussing

I meant my LX100 could not focus even at 24mm underwater.

I meant my LX100 could not focus even at 24mm underwater.

That doesn't sound right, you can't focus on all three AF, AF-Macro and Manual (using peaking)? How far are you from the subject?

That doesn't sound right, you can't focus on all three AF, AF-Macro and Manual (using peaking)? How far are you from the subject?

It could not focus with AF, it was fine with AF-Macro, I wonder if there is any "side-effect" of using AF-Macro, such as cannot focus to infinity...

The subjects were around 60cm from the camera.

Edited by kkfok

Not sure if it's usual for Nauticam, my short flat port doesn't come with a manual, so I guess your dome port doesn't come with a manual either. You would think they should have information about "not to zoom and lock the level" when using the short port, and what to do with the dome port. Things like that could help some of us who're not familiar with the system.

My NA-LX100 doesn't have a printed manual in the box either since I got it before the press release. Good thing they put the PDF version online very quickly before I do more damage to the housing. Prior to reading the manual, I didn't know you have to turn the dials to F16, AF, 4:3, lift the On/Off tab, and pull the manual focus knob out..... quite a lot of steps to go through before putting the camera in, and do the same when taking the camera out.

Yes, my LX100 was stuck in the housing just because I forgot to turn the aperture back to F16 (or 4:3?....I forgot) before taking it out, spent more than 10 minutes to take it out finally.

It could not focus with AF, it was fine with AF-Macro, I wonder if there is any "side-effect" of using AF-Macro, such as cannot focus to infinity...

The subjects were around 60cm from the camera.

I think infinity is 4x the radius of the glass dome so less than 20cm I would not worry

Panasonix LX100 in Nauticam housing and square zoom port

A quick dive in my pool just before sunset and using my new Fix Neos 2500 video light as light source i discovered that:

a) at 10.9 (24) mm and no diopter there is a rather bad CA

b) at 34 (75) mm and using the SubSee +10 Diopter on the Nauticam Flipmount there is virtually no CA

c) there is a slight vignette in the lower corners using the SubSee +10 diopter

d) at 10.9 (24) mm and minimum focusing distance image is 3.25 inch wide @ 3:2 image factor

f) at 34 (75) mm and the SubSee + 10 diopter picture is 2 inch wide @ 3:2 image factor

g) the whole rig seems to work flawless

h) the Fix Neos 2500DX is a real winner and illuminate the whole field of view

Chris

Chris, great test! did you try at 75mm without the Sub see?

Nudibranco, I couldn't find 67mm version of FIT +8, I can only find 46mm version in Taiwan and UK, no other place sells it. Do you have a URL?

it is not under FIT UCL-02 but IDAS UCL-02 which for some reason it's the same ucs-02

http://www.uw-fotopartner.com/Housing-Accessories/Lenses/Macro-Lenses/UCL-02-Makrolinse-M67-8-dpt/125mm for €135

http://www.uw-fotopartner.com/media/pdf/dokumentationmakrotest-3989167-pdf.pdf

but that works fine with a strong lens like the 60mm (120mm) macro. I cannot really use a stronger one without getting a tripod or cramps!

For the lx100 which is 75mm I would consider a stronger one at least the subsee +10

Edited by nudibranco

Thanks nudibranco, I have decided the Subsee+10 would be the way to go since the FIT/i-Das +8 would almost be like a Subsee+5.

So just to generalize: for the LX100 (limit at 75mm), the Subsee +5 would be good for frogfish, Subsee +10 is good for nudibranch, CMC would be good for pygmies.

Wish there is a way to use the Nauticam Multiplier on other lens because SMC + Multiplier is $950, and that's a lot just to get the headshot of pygmy!!! (If SMC can be used on LX100).

SMC is +11 subsee is +10 that doesn't make so much difference and if you stack more the focus point may move inside the lens. Ideally you want a wide piece of glass which is short so you have working distance. The short lens doesn't really cut this camera for macro

You're right, for some reasons I keep thinking SMC is a lot stronger than Subsee+10. Or it could be because a lot of the of the SMC images I saw are SMC+multiplier and the poster doesn't mention the multiplier.

Look what I found!:

http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/nauticam-SMC-SubSee-Diopters

I wonder how difficult it is to stack two Subsee+10, I want my pygmy headshot!!!! :crazy:

0.72 magnification according to Chris pics with Subsee +10.. Maybe with CMC (doubt it alone but with multiplier) ? or Saga +15 can reach 1:1 equivalent at 35mm?

The SMC is heavier than the camera!

Not sure why Chris did not try without the subsee at 75mm... Just curious.

Edited by nudibranco

I did the test without diopter at 75mm so I think that's why Chris didn't repeat it.

lx100_macro07.jpg

I didn't know the SMC is heavier than the camera? I heard that it's bulky, didn't know it's that bad!

Interesting I would have assumed the 75mm setting would give You a bigger size but from your pics it looks like the +7 Bluewater is 5 cm while without is 15cm...

Well, back from diving without my new rig.... (but tomorrow!!!)

Yes, as Moses already made the test i did not especially because sunset comes and ends quick here in Costa Rica.

Chris

Interesting I would have assumed the 75mm setting would give You a bigger size but from your pics it looks like the +7 Bluewater is 5 cm while without is 15cm...

Why? 32 degrees angle of view and 30 cm from the lens is pretty much spot on

Why? 32 degrees angle of view and 30 cm from the lens is pretty much spot on

Not what I am trying to figure out:

1: KC has got 15 cm at 75mm

2: KC has got 5 cm at 75mm with + 7 bluewater

3. Chris has got 5 cm at 75mm with + 10 subsee

4. Chris has got 8.5 cm at 24mm

It does not make sense...Anyway that is why asked the 75mm test from Chris...

Edited by nudibranco

May be my +7 was wrong? I took so many pictures it could be hard to track. I will test it again within next 2 weeks. But Christ shouldn't get 8.5cm at 24mm unless he has the Subsee +10 on when he take that 24mm.

Also, Chris shot at 3:2 while I shot at 16:9, so my pictures should show a bit more width than Chris'.

Edited by kc_moses

I made some more tries in the pool but the pix are not very useful as i did not used the ruler well so i don't post them.

I wanted to see if the AF macro and AF switch do change some magnification while using the +10 diopter.

I can't feel any difference in magnification between AF macro and AF, there might be a small difference but it seems to me that it makes no useful difference.
I think that his can be controlled/verified only with a "scientific" setup and not with floating in a pool and rocking the camera back and forth.

The changes when not using any diopter and zoomed at 75mm where the magnification difference between AF and AF Macro is clearly visible.

Yes, i shot at 3:2 so they are not directly comparable, but i will redo the test again only with the ruler and in 16:9

Anyway, the first dive was a success even if the dive conditions where bad due a high load of sediments and plancton.

This small (7 inch/17cm) long Scorpionfish was a patient model
75mm + SubSee +10 @ f/13 / 1/60 sec / 800 ISO
this photo is as it came out of the camera, only modification is from RAW to jpg

1617256_10153059970307940_45469391088199

This is a extreme crop of a seafan
75mm + SubSee +10 @ f/13 1/60sec 320 ISO

1977151_10153059982472940_82587764484955

Edited by ChrigelKarrer

Chris,

Since you're taking photo instead of video, try turn on "iZoom", you can zoom up to 150mm, the quality should be quite good.

I just receive my Aquako IV diopter which is stronger then the SMC. It's suffering from vignette issue just like the Subsee+10. I'm working on a solution to make that lens closer to the port, so if it works, I will share it here. Looking at the diopter flip holder, they could have put the circle behind the tab and hinge so the 67mm thread is closer to the front of the port. Don't know why they design the way it is now.

Izoom is only available in JPEG or movie not if you shoot in RAW. I think the flip diopter is an expensive and ineffective option. My idea was to get an inon m67 lens arm to use with the cold shoe and a clamp so that you can position the lens right on the port. You can get an ulcs ball mount probably even nauticam make one and then connect with a clamp to the inon lens arm

Interceptor,

i think that the flip holder is a nice piece, well made but rather expensive and the slight vignetting is a bit disappointing.

I hope that Nauticam change the design of the flip holder as Moses suggested and will send us the new version for free!

Your idea is basically not bad,
but the time to position the diopter perfectly in the center so that he is not vignetting and well centradted will be not to underestimate,
and i personally hate to fiddle around with gear under water and when i am ready the animal is gone ...

Chris

P.S. Below the original picture of the seafan just to show the extreme crop above:

MacroSeafanFull.jpg

Edited by ChrigelKarrer

I think once you have a wide piece of glass is not going to be that much trouble and the fact you can touch the port will act as reference. Either way the Lx100 doesn't cut it as still camera for me and looks barely ok for macro video. I think we are at the end of compact we need to wait for the next 4:3 with h265. Also after playing with those 4K files downscaled I really can't see it as life changing

Sponsors

Advertisements