Sign in to follow this  
brilliantinephoto

Socorro & El Nino Conditions

Hi All,

I was considering going to Socorro this May(2015) - however I have been reading about the high likelihood of El Nino this year. Just wondering if anyone has been diving there in El Nino conditions and noticed a difference in the pelagic marine life. I definitely would not visit Galapagos or Cocos at this time, however with Socorro being further north then I was thinking it may not be impacted quite so much by these conditions.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks.

The water was warm last summer as well. Around los angeles there were many warm water sightings: dorado, wahoo, scalloped hammerheads, green turtles, even a whale shark. One cause I heard was not el nino, but that a different mechanism kept the water warm in the 2013/2014 winter. That's certainly true again right now. SoI'd guess that 2015 will be like 2014. And the Solmar publishes video trip reports on their youtube channel. You might look at the trip reports from last may and see if it looks good.

We did Cocos during an el nino, and the hammerheads weren't schooling, we'd only see a few at a time. It was still an incredible trip.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements