blueline

Old Canon 50D in S&S MDX-40/50D housing w/ Magic Lantern

So, I purchased a used Canon 50D body on eBay and installed Magic Lantern to shoot some video(decided to give this a chance instead of selling my setup). I was able to shoot video on my last 3 dives. However one issue, there's no dedicated button for the LiveView/LCD screen on the MDX-40/50D Sea & Sea housing and have no way to turn it on/off while underwater to preserve the battery. I actually have to turn on LV before I place the camera in the housing and begin my dive(camera goes into sleep mode after 20 secs, Magic Lantern has a selection for that). The problem is if I forget to press the shutter button once in a while for the camera to wake up, it powers off after 30 mins. It happened to me once, was too busy fighting waves on a recent shore dive.

In addition, is there a way to program a custom key, C1, C2 or function to turn LV on when I power up the camera? I've tried to program C1,C2 per the manual but LV constantly switches off before I save the sequence. I really don't want to add a button to the housing, it might compromise its integrity (actually I was told not even Sea & Sea in the US will do that). Any suggestions/ideas will greatly be appreciated.

Here's a short video with the results..

Thank you. Edited by blueline

Sponsors

Advertisements