Sign in to follow this  
cwise

Seized Sync cord connection

Hi there,

I have a Sea & Sea sync cord and the locking nut has seized.

Does anyone know how i can free it? I've tried vinegar and putting it in a vice.

Thanks

Man, you are having a rough time, cwise!

Vinegar usually works if you leave it long enough - overnight, say.

Other than that, hmmm, could you use hot water? That might get the metals to expand at slightly different rates and help free it up..... (bit of a long shot!).

Do you think it's salt that is causing the problem? If so, there are things like Saltex which helps dissolve it. If its metals reacting together (galvanic whatchamacallit) it can be tricky! I had to resort to pliers once and wrote off the cable. It's worth (lesson learned!) using a light grease between the metal parts if you are not taking them apart regularly.

Teflon tape (tread seal tape) does the trick also and i use it successful on treads on my boats or housings.

A too big amount (or build-up) of grease can lead to crack the housing as grease is usually not compressable and
a build-up in the bottom of the tread hole will make the tread physically shorter and strong tightening can crack the hole as the bolt will be too long.

Chris

Use DeoxIt Gold, it will penetrate the oxidation and allow you to break loose the lock nut. After you get it loose coat the threads with Tribolube 71 to prevent further seizing.

Elmer

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements