Oceanshutter

What are the most photogenic wrecks in Truk?

Hello everyone,

For those who have been to Truk before, what are the most photogenic wrecks there? Ones that we can't miss?

We are headed there in a month on the siren boat, so I would like to start planning.

Dustin

Don't over think it, they are all brilliant and you will have a great time. One of my favourites was Shinkoko, epic engine room and lots of life on deck. Oite was great but that's trimix depth. Rio de Janiero engine room has to be one of the greatest week dives ever.

Photos: http://srkay.smugmug.com/Diving/Chuuk/ Should all be tagged with wreck name.

• Like 3

Don't over think it, they are all brilliant and you will have a great time. One of my favourites was Shinkoko, epic engine room and lots of life on deck. Oite was great but that's trimix depth. Rio de Janiero engine room has to be one of the greatest week dives ever.

Photos: http://srkay.smugmug.com/Diving/Chuuk/ Should all be tagged with wreck name.

Thanks Simon. You got some nice shots down there. I'm not trying to overthink, I just like to prepare, and if there are wrecks better than others, I want to request certain wrecks. We are doing 7 days on the Siren and 3 days at Blue Lagoon.

Dustin

Simon, Love the photos. We (myself, wife Sue and Varun from New Zealand) were on the same L4R trip as you in 2012. It was the Truk-Ox that gave it away. :)

Steve.

It depends on the weather, the time of day, the amount of gunk in the water, the number of divers that have been around and probably a dozen other things. Look through some collections, and visit the wrecks that you like (although the Siren will have an itinerary and you may not have too much flexibility).

There's a lot of flexibility at Blue Lagoon, particularly if you have four or five divers in a group.

Edited by tdpriest

A very nice set, even if you have a bit of an engine-room fetish...

... for myself, the tanks and the aircraft were the best of my trip last spring...

... the weather and the visibility weren't!

Edited by tdpriest

Simon, Love the photos. We (myself, wife Sue and Varun from New Zealand) were on the same L4R trip as you in 2012. It was the Truk-Ox that gave it away. :)

Steve.

Pete is busy trying to forget Truk Ox, he spent a fortune installing his own O2 plant at Blue Lagoon after that trip.

S

Well guys, I returned a couple of weeks ago. I found the Fujikawa, Kensho, Shinkoku, and the Betty Bomber to be the most photogenic. Really enjoyed our time there. The penetrations into the wreck were awesome and was more fun than photographically productive. Collapses are slowly happening, so if you haven't been there I would recommend going.

Dustin

Wonderful set of photos, Simon.

We have a group arriving on 5-8. Sad to say the Truk Odyssey cancelled our trip due to Typhoon damage. Looks like it will be Blue Lagoon time for us.

How long were your boat rides and how easy was it to set up/maintain your camera gear on thieir little boats?

Sponsors

Advertisements