jimj

focus light attachment

Hoping someone might be able to help. I have a nexis-anthis housing & using a Nikon d-300. I have been using a sola 1200 as a focus light attached to an ultralight triple clamp as well as my with my left strobe arm.

I find that I am always having to adjust the strobe arm as needed for lighting however, the focus light also moves & I am constantly readjusting. My housing does not come with any hot shoe or any type of bracket that I can attach the sola light independent of my left strobe arm.

Is there anyway I can glue a short ball mount that I can attach a 2 way clamp to hold the sola directly over my port. I do not want to drill into my housing. Any ideas ,tips or techniques would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

jimj

I had a Nexus D90 housing and did the following for my housing focus light needs.

There is a black plastic block on the front, beside the port connection. The block is threaded with an usual tapered thread and Nexus sells (or used to sell) a very expensive adapter for this connection. The block screws into the housing exterior and there is no penetration inside.

I took the block to a machine shop and had them make a duplicate in aluminum. Instead of the tapered thread, I had them install an 8mm thread. I then bought a Ultralight ball connection for that thread. I painted the aluminum block with galvizing paint.

This worked great for all the time I used the housing.

I would show you photos of it but I no longer own that housing.

I looked online at a picture of the D300s housing and it has the same block so I am guessing yours does too.

This was a really nice place for the focus light as it was quite close to the lens and easy to aim/use.

Hope that helps. let me know if this is not clearly explained.

Thanks so very much for offering your ideas. My handle is not an ultralight but the one that came with the housing. My housing has the 2 screw holes next to the port opening but no black block.. Perhaps there may be a vertical ball mount that has 2 holes matching the spacing on the housing. If I can direct the ball vertically then maybe a 2 way clamp will work with the sola 1200. I will dig through several of the UW photo cataloques & see if there is something.

Once again many thanks.

If I come up with something I will come back with an update

It's not the handle that needs to be Ultralight to match the adapter that Vondo linked but just the Ball Mount. I am using the the

very same one with my Nexus D90. It works perfectly well and the light is in good position. Used in combination with a short arm

section the light can be kept central and good for pointing down over on macro subjects.

7823309362_0f31641ee3_z.jpg

Cheers,

Jim.

WOW !!! this just may be the answer to my question. From the photo I just can't work out how if I want to move my strobe arm that it won't affect the position of the focus light. It would seem that if I loosen the strobe arm to move it the focus light arm will drop & then have to be readjusted. I can say that if even if that's the case it still looks better than what I am currently doing.

PS. How have you found the flotation works around the port? I have the same flotation on all 4 of my strobe arms and find they hit each other restricting my strobe arm placement when shooting macro.

Once again many thanks to jimswims,diverdave & Vondo no doubt we all have friends who just don't resonate with our desire to drag a camera around UW

Sorry not the best image to clearly show how I'm using that adapter. The adapter attaches to the neck of a ball mount and is

independant of the strobe arm attached to the same ball mount. Re the float belt, I only require it when using the 105mm and

it balances the rig perfectly. Does create some positioning limitations but nothing that I haven't been able to work around.

Cheers,

Jim.

jimj,

Here's another idea to solve the problem. I made this bar out of 1/8" x 1" aluminum stock. All it took was a vice, hammer and a drill. I used all SS machine and cap screws . It can be adapted for a number of accessories. I attach the focus light to the top ball and diopters to the sides above the balls for the strobe arms. On occasion I also attach a Go-Pro to the right of the lifting handle. It also serves as a lift point when handling the kit, making it easy to hand down and up. Nobody grabs the strobe arms or worse.

The pics show it all disassembled as everything is in storage, but you get the idea. PM me if you want any further details.

Harry

post-6930-0-43152500-1424350708_thumb.jpg

post-6930-0-56019800-1424350733_thumb.jpg

The biggest advantage to my DIY solution, IMO, is the ease with which one can handle the camera on a dive boat. The grab point on the top of the bar is easy for the crew to hold when passing the rig up and down from the boat or dive platform. No grabbing of the strobe arms or housing/handles.

Plus it's a fraction of the cost of the cost of a retail unit. It cost me about $5 USD and most of that was for the SS bolts and machine screws.

Just my 2 psi.

Here another commercial version possibility.

It is from A.T.G., I think from Taiwan.

In addition to the two ball for the light system, you can put up to 3 mount ball on the arm, very flexible; and can be use as landyard as mentionned.

ATG_01.jpg

Edited by Atobit

Sponsors

Advertisements