wobby

Are you happy you changed from DX to FX?

Alistair, don't overlook the used market for full frame like the D800. That's what I ended up doing and have no regrets.

• Like 1

I think the D750 has flash synch to 1/250th, while D800 and D7200 are 1/320th - so 1/3 stop advantage. Alex

I went with a used D800 (had 1100 clicks, and a demo NAD800II housing from Reef), and am happy with it. I think if I had to buy a whole new system, today, it would probably be the Sony A7 II. The smaller size for travel is appealing, and from what I have seen the images taken with it are amazing.

I use the D800 a lot more on land than I do in the water, and for headshots, portraits, glamour, landscapes and so on it's a big step up from the D7000 I had before.

If I went to full frame, I think I'd miss using, diving and travelling with a 4" mini dome and the 10-17. Everything fragile fits in a Lowe Pro Trekker backpack as carry on, so easy to travel with.

Not only is a full frame camera + housing much larger/heavier, but then you have to add a large dome and extension rings. It's the large dome that's the big difference for travelling.

I am also looking at getting a new Camera this year and have not decided to go FX or stay DX. I am thinking of getting a D750 or D7200 and just weighing up the pros and cons but will probably go FX just have to get some new lens.

I am just putting out there why can a Housing manufacture like Ikelite for example make a housing that can be used for both a D750 and a D7200. The D750 is about the same size as the D7200 some controls are in a different place but the mold would be the same size. They could just make the controls for one camera a different colour then you could use one housing for two cameras either use a DX for Macro and a FX for wide angle would this be to simple?

I understand that a Housing manufacture would think it is losing out selling housings but I would pay a few hundred more for a duel purpose housing and they could offer upgrades on existing D7100 housings as it looks like they will fit the D7200 already.

That would make traveling easer two camera bodies one housing.

I went with the Zen 170mm dome...it's not huge, and results with my Sigma 15mm FE are good. No extension ring needed, unless I use my 1.4 tele, which needs extension ring 20.

I went with the Zen 170mm dome...it's not huge, and results with my Sigma 15mm FE are good. No extension ring needed, unless I use my 1.4 tele, which needs extension ring 20.

I like the Zen 170mm too. Good size for those trips which are fisheye focused and unlikely to involve split levels. Big size saving over the 230mm.

post-713-0-76349000-1426776145_thumb.jpg

Here are some tests on corner performance at different apertures. It is not acceptable wider than f/9. Decent f/11-f/9. Very good f/13-or more.

post-713-0-44153200-1426776227_thumb.jpg

ALex

Thanks for that post with examples, Alex. I have only used the 170 & 15mm combo at Socorro (no reefs as you probably know), so no real way to check corner sharpness myself yet.

Hi,I just switched from a D90 to a D7100. Of course I did this at Christmas before the D7100 was announced but I really like this camera. Such a big difference. I had this same discussion with several folks in trying to decide on an upgrade from DX to FX. Weight and such large file sizes were a big factor for me as well as thinking about how I take photos underwster. In the end, I stayed with the DX system because of my ports and lenses that I already have. More costs to change ports and new wide angle lens. So far I've been very pleased with the D7100. The only issie I have with it so far is the buffer seems slower when I get very snap happy and want to shoot off 6-8 frames all at once. Which does not happen that often underwater for me since I do not focus on big animal encounters. I will have it under water here in a few weeks.

Hey....wwonder why my post above showed as a guest and not as me when I was logged in? So you will know that was DiverPam above

Diverpam

• Like 1

I am just putting out there why can a Housing manufacture like Ikelite for example make a housing that can be used for both a D750 and a D7200. The D750 is about the same size as the D7200 some controls are in a different place but the mold would be the same size. They could just make the controls for one camera a different colour then you could use one housing for two cameras either use a DX for Macro and a FX for wide angle would this be to simple?

Even when camera's look similar, there is usually quite a bit of difference between models: additional buttons, moved buttons and different shaped grips etc. Housing manufactures work to very high tolerances for all the buttons to work just as you expect them to.

I understand that a Housing manufacture would think it is losing out selling housings but I would pay a few hundred more for a duel purpose housing and they could offer upgrades on existing D7100 housings as it looks like they will fit the D7200 already.

That would make traveling easer two camera bodies one housing.

The D7200 fits in the Nauticam D7100 housing perfectly - it seems that the camera has remained exactly the same externally.

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=55155

Hey....wwonder why my post above showed as a guest and not as me when I was logged in? So you will know that was DiverPam above

Diverpam

That also happened to me when I posted, but a browser refresh updates the profile from Guest to correct profile... don't know if it's a site error or a browser error? (Safari 7.1.3)

So far I've been very pleased with the D7100. The only issie I have with it so far is the buffer seems slower when I get very snap happy and want to shoot off 6-8 frames all at once.

If that turns out to be an issue for you, you can always upgrade to the D7200 - much larger buffer and it should work in your D7100 housing...

i agree for travel i like the size of my D90. Also if i am honest and not overcome by gear lust / envy there is still not much wrong with my D90. Key specs for me are more focused around things that help me take the photos i want, focus speed, sharpness, buffer (mantas and sharks), low light performance, back up memory card, sync speed, physical size and weight underwater.

So i think that based on this i will stick to my oriignal thought and look to stay DX, go with the 7200 and spend the difference on more diving :)

It does depend on what you want to shoot. I love my D300 but needed something more suited for high speed low light wide angle spawning shots. Probably a D4 would have been better but went with the D800e as it was easier to travel with and meant I could keep both kidneys.

Overall I'm very impressed with FX performance and wouldn't go back to DX.

Thanks everyone for the comments, have decided to stick with DX and picked up a Nikon D7200 last week.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hi All-

I am new here, although I've had a account for awhile. I'm currently shooting with an Aquatica D7000, so I've been reading this thread with great interest since I am currently debating the D7200 vs the D610 or D810. I am mainly shooting wide angle on wrecks in New England. I do travel as well and between bringing my rebreather and the camera, I barely have any room left in my luggage for clothing. So, the comments about the weight/size of a full frame set-up really is giving me something to think about with travel, and even when diving wrecks where I'm going in on a shot line or dealing with a lot of current.

Going to full frame from the D7000 seems like a huge step. Although I have a Tokina 10-17 and a Nikkor 16 mm fisheye, I prefer rectilinear lenses and use a 10-24 Nikon now. It seems like I really would need to invest in new lenses, most likely the 16-35 mm, which would lead to a new dome port and extension ring, increasing size and weight. The cost investment is big and it seems like continuing on the DX path makes more sense.

At the same time, I am drawn to the full frame option like a moth to a flame...

Looking at the D7200 on paper compared to the D7000, the sensor sizes seem very similar. I see the other differences with ISO, effective pixels, autofocus, etc. From what I have read here though, the D7100 was a big improvement over the D7000, and going to the D7200 from my current set-up would indeed be an upgrade.

Does anyone have any additional advice or thoughts for me to consider? Based on the comments and choices others have made, it seems like the D7200 might be the right choice.

Thanks,

Heather

Does anyone have any additional advice or thoughts for me to consider?

Heather

I think you have said it all, Heather: Moth to a flame. We all are. Why should you escape, eh? :dancing:

The only other advice I might offer are the words of Dante (not the Brazilian footballer one) on the entry to hell: "Abandon hope all ye who enter".

Underwater photography is a slippery slope to an empty bank account, hours of editing, weeks of frustration and moments of utter delight.

Welcome to Wetpixel, Heather

Edited by TimG
  • Like 1

Hi All-

I am new here, although I've had a account for awhile. I'm currently shooting with an Aquatica D7000, so I've been reading this thread with great interest since I am currently debating the D7200 vs the D610 or D810. I am mainly shooting wide angle on wrecks in New England. I do travel as well and between bringing my rebreather and the camera, I barely have any room left in my luggage for clothing. So, the comments about the weight/size of a full frame set-up really is giving me something to think about with travel, and even when diving wrecks where I'm going in on a shot line or dealing with a lot of current.

Going to full frame from the D7000 seems like a huge step. Although I have a Tokina 10-17 and a Nikkor 16 mm fisheye, I prefer rectilinear lenses and use a 10-24 Nikon now. It seems like I really would need to invest in new lenses, most likely the 16-35 mm, which would lead to a new dome port and extension ring, increasing size and weight. The cost investment is big and it seems like continuing on the DX path makes more sense.

Looking at the D7200 on paper compared to the D7000, the sensor sizes seem very similar. I see the other differences with ISO, effective pixels, autofocus, etc. From what I have read here though, the D7100 was a big improvement over the D7000, and going to the D7200 from my current set-up would indeed be an upgrade.

Does anyone have any additional advice or thoughts for me to consider? Based on the comments and choices others have made, it seems like the D7200 might be the right choice.

Thanks,

Heather

I recently switched from the D7000 to the D810 several months ago, and I couldn't be happier. Yes, it is a financial commitment and the gear weighs more (on the surface), but you can't beat the IQ of the D810. I shoot primarily wide-angle in Southern California, and dabble in macro and super macro.

I sold my Tokina (thought I would miss it but I do not), and purchased the Sigma 15mm fisheye and the Nikon 16-35mm. I also invested in the Zen 230mm and Nauticam 140mm domes.

For safety during ripping currents and when you need to be hands-free to shoot a bag, etc., I use the Beneath the Surface Beach Strap System. The clips are always on my BC and strobe ball mounts, just in case I need them. Regardless if you switch to FX or not, I highly recommend the BtS Beach Straps for your set-up. Here is a video my friend and I produced for BtS for that product.

Hope this information helps!

Best,

Michael

Thanks everyone! This is helpful - but making me really indecisive! I had to crunch the numbers to see for myself. This is for an Aquatica housing...

The full frame option is definitely a significant upfront investment going from DX since there's less that can be carried over. The D810 is a larger, heavier rig (for wide angle). Although I do have a lanyard to carry my housing and be hands-free, it's still a lot of camera. The D610 looks like a nice middle of the road FX option for size, weight and price.

post-23145-0-83420600-1428592843_thumb.jpg

FULL FRAME COMPONENTS

FX Lens and accessories for D610, D800 (anticipate D810 will be same)
Nikon AF-S 16-35mm f/4 G ED VR DX
Zoom gear 48728
Port extension 18458 +2.5" and approximately 1 lb
DX COMPONENTS
Nikon AF-S 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED DX
Zoom gear 48696
Port extension 18462 +1.6" and approximately 0.5 lb
Edited by NEwreckdiver

Hi NEWreckdiver

A couple of thoughts on your (excellent) spreadsheet: I wouldn't assume an 8" dome with the Nikkor 16-35. I found I had to go with the 9" on my Subal system at significant extra cost and weight.

One way of cutting down on cost and weight is to switch from a 16-35 to a 15mm (Sigma) or 16mm (Nikon) FE. No need for an EXR, no diopter and 8" dome work soft sure. And either the 15 or 16mm is cheaper than the 16-35.

• Like 1

Not to totally derail the thread but I'm considering picking up a 16-35mm and using it behind an 8" dome (because $1,700 for a 9" dome is out of my league) and have had trouble finding photos of the combination. I know people routinely recommend the 9" dome but how bad is it behind an 8" dome? Have an upcoming shark trip and am thinking I can get by with some degree of soft corners.

Sorry for the slight off topic question but it's been on my mind for awhile and I never found any great examples.

This is the best I came across. See Renee's photos:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46334&&page=9

Hi TightLines

Here's one example of a pic taken using a 16-35 behind an 8" dome. Subal system, with a 90mm EXR and a +2 diopter as Subal recommend. Check out the edges on the left side.

It's not a problem if the edges are in the blue (the right side of the image) as there isn't anything there then that can highlight the softness. But it shows up clearly in the the left side where there is coral etc.

post-2756-0-42651200-1428607680_thumb.jpg

Edited by TimG

Whereas this photo was taken with the 16-35mm in my Subal, but with a Zen 230 dome, showing very acceptable corners.

post-713-0-38297000-1428613494_thumb.jpg

If you want excellent FX image quality underwater, spend you money on domes. They make more of difference to your output than a fancy camera body.

Alex

Thanks, everyone. These are some of the considerations I am trying to tease out, so the dome discussion has been helpful. I made an assumption (desperate hope?) that my 8" dome might be OK with a very wide angle FX lens on the full frame camera, but I would agree this is not the case. The larger dome definitely adds a lot of size and weight to the rig.

I'm still leaning towards the D7200 upgrade. It seems some people have the body, but it's not available yet around here. I really want some confirmation from Aquatica that the D7200 fits before purchasing the D7100 housing. I have seen some posts saying it does fit, but it's a lot of money and I want to be sure.

Cheers,

Heather

Sponsors

Advertisements