Larry C

D7200 is here. Different enough?

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/dslr-cameras/D7200.html?cid=EML-030315-Preorder

Same sensor, new processor, 6 frames per second, built in WiFi, way better low light, new video features, more presets and white balance choices, built in time lapse. Same dimensions, maybe it will fit in the D7100 housing? $1199 body only. Or should you jump on left over D7100's and get one with 2 lenses for the same price?

I don't know how the D7200 can be way better in low light with the same sensor. It might focus better, but final image should be almost identical to D7100.

Also, I thought all Nikon DSLRs had built in time lapse for quite awhile now. It looks like a nice rev, but if I had a D7100 I don't know if it would be worth it to jump if it doesn't fit the same housing. To me, the best change is increasing the buffer size.

BTW, I'm not contesting what the original poster wrote, I'm questioning the Nikon ad blurb.

Edited by johnspierce

Same sensor, new processor, 6 frames per second, built in WiFi, way better low light, new video features,

It is not the same sensor. It is a Sony sensor, not the Toshiba one, which is in the Nikon D7100.

The focus capability will be better in low light for sure.

If you try to upgrade from Nikon D300 it may all that above tempting...otherwise depends on your needs.

Edited by scuba_d

I have not tried the D7200 yet. But I see this upgrade as similar to the D800-D810 or D610-D750. Same megapixels, but better AF and new Expeed 4 processor.

The result, I believe will be greater than the sum of the parts. The D750 is a big step from the D600. I have not shot the D810 underwater yet, but Adam Hanlon has said that he loves his - it really solves all the niggles and rough edges of his old D800.

Often these less headline grabbing "evolution" upgrades are actually the ones that yield the really great products, more so than the new generation, revolutionary upgrades.

All that, though is pure conjecture when it comes to the D7200 - as I stress I am yet to try one on land or underwater.

Alex

I have the D7100 and it was a huge step up from the D7000 I had before it. Mostly the better focus capabilities of the 7100 over the 7000. I just can't imagine the 7200 focusing better but I surely will wait to hear about it. Would be awesome if it would fit in my AD7100.

I am expecting D7100-D7200 to be a smaller step than D7000-D7100, but don’t know yet. Hoping it fits too - see nothing to suggest it won’t at this stage.

I am expecting D7100-D7200 to be a smaller step than D7000-D7100, but don’t know yet. Hoping it fits too - see nothing to suggest it won’t at this stage.

Is this the triumph of wishful thinking over experience, Alex? :lol2:

• Like 1

I can't wait to get my hands on a D7200. I have D7100 with Nauticam housing and love it, and have in mind to get a second body as a back up. If (maybe big if) the D7200 fits into the D7100 housing, I have a dilemma: splash for the D7200 as my new primary camera or get a discounted left over D7100 as a back up?

The comparison of the red channel detail between the 7200 and the 7100 is interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing the results underwater, as the red channel is so important in strobe lit underwater shots. Has anyone got one underwater yet?

I am wondering whether divers who upgraded from D7100 to D7200 experienced a significant improvement on autofocus? The specs show 1 stop improvement, but a reputable photo magazine that i read just saw no difference at all vs D7100. Also, they reported that D7200 didn't include the grouped AF sensors feature which apparently helps a lot with subject tracking, and is present on other recent nikon dslrs.

Cheers

Nicolas

My 2 cents,

I have had both. I feel, shooting macro that even with a plus 10 SubSea I no longer need a focus light with the 7200. I shot a Two Clawed shrimp a few weeks ago in an Azure Vase sponge, the shrimp in the dark zone and I had no trouble focusing with my D7200. So for me, with the D7200, the focus for what I ask of it is better. Two things that I like about this camera the focus ability being one and a little bit better Dynamic Range, It seams to me that I can pull the shadows out of a raw image slightly better without banding or noise. So if all you shoot is wide angle I don't think you would see much difference in focus ability, but if you are using a 105 macro in the dark areas of the reef I am sure you notice an improvement

My 2 cents,

I have had both. I feel, shooting macro that even with a plus 10 SubSea I no longer need a focus light with the 7200. I shot a Two Clawed shrimp a few weeks ago in an Azure Vase sponge, the shrimp in the dark zone and I had no trouble focusing with my D7200. So for me, with the D7200, the focus for what I ask of it is better. Two things that I like about this camera the focus ability being one and a little bit better Dynamic Range, It seams to me that I can pull the shadows out of a raw image slightly better without banding or noise. So if all you shoot is wide angle I don't think you would see much difference in focus ability, but if you are using a 105 macro in the dark areas of the reef I am sure you notice an improvement

Thanks Paul for the feedback!

Thinking through it, i am guessing the Photo magazine that i mentioned may not have tested the D7200 autofocus in low-light, which could be why they didn't see any improvement over the D7100.

Also, could you share what kind of autofocus setting you're using? How well is AF-C working?

I use AF-C and 9 point. I use my AF-L button for focus. Blistering fast. I used the D7100 the same way, it was good too but not quite the same.

Ok very interesting :-)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Sponsors

Advertisements