dutch

Nauticam Compact Macro Converter

Anyone used this yet? Ive got a Inon +6 but would like something stronger. Can anyone compare it to this or the Nauticam SMC?

Cheers

Stü

Hi Stü,

I have both the UCL-165 and UCL-100 here and on Tuesday will have the CMC (bank holidays Monday! Grr) won't be able to do any in-water testing but will be able to compare on land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many would agree that the Nauticam SMC is the sharpest water contact C/U lens to date and works over a wide range of sensor sizes. The Nauticam CMC-1 is designed for a verity of contact and mirrorless sub full frame sensors and it could also be argued that on those cameras it is even sharper than SMC by a bit. It gets some of the best magnification with the Olympus 60mm macro lens for M43 cameras. I was able to barrow the lens for one dive in two foot vis with horrible conditions. The attached photo was taken with the Olympus 60mm macro at 1:1 (life-size 17.3 X 13mm) with the CMC-1 installed the image is around 9mm on the long side. This is an unprocessed RAW file. The second image is a crop of about 400% with some PP.

post-2618-0-67271700-1426089953_thumb.jpg

post-2618-0-34802300-1426089974_thumb.jpg

Hi Phil,

Do you know the distance from the CMC-1 to the subject? approx, obviously...

End reproduction ratio which in this case is 2:1 and distance to subject varies greatly depending on the system and lens you are using. In the case of the Olympus 60mm macro zoomed to 1:1 with the CMC-1 yielding 2:1 working distance is around 22mm from subject. This may sound very close and it is but with other magnifying closeup lenses of the same power that distance is reduced to around 12 to 15mm a significant difference when trying not to crush your subject and being able get some strobe light on the subject.

• Like 1

Hi Phil, thanks for the good information. Perhaps you can help with a question that I posted in a different section of Wetpixel. I am currently using a Subsee +5 wet lens with a Canon HF-S30 camcorder in a Light and Motion housing. I was wondering if and how well the CMC might do for video with that camera, but got no responses in the other section. Perhaps you might have some thoughts. Thanks.

I would look at the large list of cameras and lenses listed in the product release and find the combo that comes closest to your system to get an idea of what it might do. All of these cameras do video as well as stills so the closest zoom range, sensor size and close focus distance should get you in the ball park. Also you need to be able to mount the CMC-1 and of course keep in mind that it was not designed for you system.

Produce release can be found at Nauticamusa.com

Edited by Phil Rudin

I would look at the large list of cameras and lenses listed in the product release and find the combo that comes closest to your system to get an idea of what it might do. All of these cameras do video as well as stills so the closest zoom range, sensor size and close focus distance should get you in the ball park. Also you need to be able to mount the CMC-1 and of course keep in mind that it was not designed for you system.

Produce release can be found at Nauticamusa.com

Hi phil

i have three questions and I'm sure you are the best who can answer me in my case .

i use olympus EM5 mark 2 macro lens 60 with SMC i would like to have more magnification should i add the nauticam multiplier ? my friend say its 3.5/1 and equal to 7/1 in FF camera is that correct ?

another friend say if he were me he would sell the SMC and don't buy the multiplier. instead he will buy the CMC as it works better than SMC on olympus 60 . what do you think should i do ?

my last question I'm considering a 45 new viewfinder for mirrorless any opinion or advice about it

In my hands, the CMC (on the Oly 60 lens) is much better than the SMC and the Multiplier (better DOF and easier to focus) Still the working distance is pretty small. I love my 45 finder, all I ever use but there is a learning curve.

Bill

In my hands, the CMC (on the Oly 60 lens) is much better than the SMC and the Multiplier (better DOF and easier to focus) Still the working distance is pretty small. I love my 45 finder, all I ever use but there is a learning curve.

Bill

thank you for the reply i have heard there is two version the cmc and the cmc1 which is the second version please correct me if I'm wrong

the cmc1 version 2 have a power magnification of 2/1 on olympus 60 and the SMC have 2,13 /1 so the SMC is stronger magnification , but what you refer too is the cmc first version which is stronger than the new cmc version am i correct ? please bear with me I'm new in underwater photography

i have only the SMC i try it and i want more magnification so i was thinking to get the multiplier but some friends told me to sell the SMC and get the CMC1

any advice or opinion please feel free

Hi Alex, The SMC was basically designed for full frame and the CMC was designed for sub full frame and works the best with M43. This is the C/U lens that would be my choice for M43. CMC and CMC-1 are the same thing.

The problem with the C/U lenses is that many people use the lens before they have reached 1:1 with the 60 and other macro lenses. As a result I see images of animals much larger than the 17.2mm X 13mm life size of the m43 60 macro lens. So as Bill has said in the hands of someone who knows how to use the C/U lens you can get excellent magnification but many are using like a placebo only think they are getting higher magnification.

These are images I have posted here several times, the configuration is EM-1 60mm macro manual focus to 1:1 (life size) then move the housing until in focus. First is the 35mm slide as a frame of reference, the 60mm life size and then 60mm at life size plus CMC. As you can see a very small final image taken a less than 10mm and very shallow DOF. Most people are not getting this close even when they use a C/U lens.

So you can see full frame life size and the final eye image and make your own evaluation of how close that comes to 7:1 magnification.

post-2618-0-93792700-1465893364_thumb.jpg

post-2618-0-76042000-1465893382_thumb.jpg

post-2618-0-79850500-1465893417_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil Rudin
  • Like 1

Hi Alex, The SMC was basically designed for full frame and the CMC was designed for sub full frame and works the best with M43. This is the C/U lens that would be my choice for M43. CMC and CMC-1 are the same thing.

The problem with the C/U lenses is that many people use the lens before they have reached 1:1 with the 60 and other macro lenses. As a result I see images of animals much larger than the 17.2mm X 13mm life size of the m43 60 macro lens. So as Bill has said in the hands of someone who knows how to use the C/U lens you can get excellent magnification but many are using like a placebo only think they are getting higher magnification.

These are images I have posted here several times, the configuration is EM-1 60mm macro manual focus to 1:1 (life size) then move the housing until in focus. First is the 35mm slide as a frame of reference, the 60mm life size and then 60mm at life size plus CMC. As you can see a very small final image taken a less than 10mm and very shallow DOF. Most people are not getting this close even when they use a C/U lens.

So you can see full frame life size and the final eye image and make your own evaluation of how close that comes to 7:1 magnification.

thank you Phil for the reply now after looking at the photos you attached i understand the problem is not that SMC doesn't provide enough magnification ,the problem is i don't know how to use properly .

about the confusion that i had between cmc and cmc1 i just clear it , there is a new CMC 2 coming to the market now they start trying it. its sharper focus very fast they said its much better than CMC 1 . but less magnification . the old CMC give 2/1 the new CMC 2 would have 2.5 magnification i don't know whats gonna be the ration in olympus lens .

according to what i understand from you i will use the SMC for now until the new CMC 2 comes to the market i will compare it to the old CMC 1 then i will sell the SMC to somebody who will use it in full frame , i will make my choice between CMC 1 or CMC 2 the old model have more magnification the new model less magnification but sharper and focus very fast . i will attach some pictures to show the conversation with some ppl who try the prototype of the new CMC 2

Best Regard

Alex

post-53080-0-15159500-1465973258_thumb.jpg

post-53080-0-57559500-1465973270_thumb.jpg

Edited by amine

a

Edited by amine

Sponsors

Advertisements