lufik

Oly 60mm behind flat port vs. dome port

Hi all

I am proud owner of this marvelous lens, and been using it so far behind dome port for 9-18mm. The idea of one port fits all (9-18, 14-42 and 60mm) is fantastic. But macro became my main interest now (yep, I can finally see detail of critters I cannot enjoy live underwater due to my vision :-) ) and I am considering buying Nauticam macro port for this lens. The question is how much advantage it will bring me in an area of coverage. I know theory - water makes everything 1/3 bigger and dome port compensates for this. So if I use flat port I should be able to achieve higher magnification. I am not after supermacro as taking picture of things I cannot see at all is confusing :-D , macro capabilities of this lens are just perfect for me.

How much higher the magnification will be? Preferably if anybody can share example pictures to show the difference. And what will happen with working distance, especially how far/close the object will be from the front glass of flat port?

Thanks

L.

Hi lufik!

The minimum focus distance for the Olympus 60mm is 18.8 centimeters. With a dome port you're actually focusing on the virtual image that's created on the dome, not the subject, and that will not give you enough distance most likely. It's unlikely that you would be able to focus with that lens/port combination _at all_, you really need a flat port. Have you tested this?

Edited by coinee

I am using it behind Nauticam dome for Oly 9-18mm and it works very well. So well I am not sure if it is worth the hassle of having to change ports when I switch to this lens. Only minor issue is port size - getting it close to reef without scratching it - and possibility of better magnification with flat port.

post-31049-0-90088700-1426022271_thumb.jpg

This chicken hairy shrimp was tiny bit bigger than tip of diveguide stick, it is cropped heavily but the detail level is still amazing.

Frankly I have the 60mm macro lens and used it behind the flat port... afterward I used it behind the 4" Nauticam port and found that I get 30% better FOV and get the same magnification by getting closer to the subject.

As I have the flip macro adapter for this port (I use it especially when I use the 12-50mm lens) I get supermacro details by using it with the 60mm macro lens.

No quality issues that I can tell.

BTW the 9-18mm minimum focus distance is 20mm so it is clearly no problem with the focusing on the 60mm lens.

It is bigger than the flat port ... but that is the only negative i have to deal with vs. the flat port...

Edited by nudibranco
  • Like 2

Hi, Are you sure get the same magnification?

OK, You get closer to the subject but you can get closer with the flat port and get even better magnification.

I asked this question before buying the port and I got the information that for 60mm the flat port is better then the dome.

The flat port maybe better because you get extra space with your subject but you have the same maG.

Edited by nudibranco

Sponsors

Advertisements