Sign in to follow this  
scubag

Galapagos Rec: Agressor vs Sky Dancer vs Lammer Law?

Planning a spring (Feb - May 2005) Galapagos trip and want to get to Darwin/Wolf Islands. Looking for comparisons of these vessels and trips from anyone who has been on more than one of them.

Thanks,

Doug

Hello Scubag,

I've been on the Skydancer in Palau for a couple of hours, it was a nice and large ship.

In the Galapagos I have been on the Lammer Law, that's a WOAW gorgeous trimarine. It's so wonderful and the staf was so great. The lounge is huge and each room has a queen size bed. I enjoyed a lot of my stay on that boat. It was in July 2000.

All the best,

Michel

Why not consider a summer trip?

I would try and find out who the naturalist and divemasters are on board the Sky Dancer, and how long they've been on staff? Experience has a lot to do with finding you the subjects you want to see. During our trip to the Galapagos, there seemed to be quite a bit of talk of the staff turnover PH had during that time (around the Belize incident).

When talking with the passengers who were aboard the Dancer during the same period we were aboard the Aggressor, they unfortuantely didn't share the animal encounters we had during the same days the boats spent while in the northern islands. We questioned how the Dancer guides apporached the sites which seemed much different than the Nemo, Aggressor who were there at the time. It think it all came down to the experience of the crew, and I feel lucky to have enjoyed the experience that we did.

I believe all the boats are well run and the accommodations are good for anyone's value. That being said, I believe the guides to be a focal point to the success of diving and capturing the essence of the area.

Hope you have a great trip, we can't wait to return.

Thanks for the comments, Yes I know that summer brings in the whale sharks but I have other plans during that time.

Gofigure:

When were you in Galapagos? Obviosly crew turnover is not easily discussed when talking to the ships booking offices, for all I know the guides from agressor now work on another boat. I was more interested in how they treated you as an experienced diver / photographer? Did you have to dive with the guide or is solo or buddy diving ok? How much time did you spend at the northern islands? (Wolf/Darwin). How is the food, service on board? How many dives did you get in etc etc.

Thanks again,

Doug

been to galapagos 3 times. i love the place. ive been on ph, and aggressor, the aggressor was by far the best. unless your on a special trip, most boats spend two days up north, four dives per day. the currents can be hairy, but the action is incredible, and the water is warmer. last july we saw seven whale sharks. i cant wait to go again

Hi Scubag,

I've been on the Lammer law at July 2000 for a 10 days trip (with Michel from the post above :lol: ) and I had the time of my life. we spent 4 or 5 days at Wolf and Darwin and were lucky to encounter about 20 whale sharks and tons of hammerheads. I'ts a beautiful, comfortable vessel, the staff was great and the guide was very skillful. We had 3 dives per day. We were only 5 divers on the boat and we entered the water as a group, but once in the water, we had all the freedom a photographer could ask for.

Dany

Loved my trips on the Sky Dancer and the Deep Blue. Big, fast boats, with lots of room. REALLY like the current guide on the Deep Blue.

Detailed web journals here:

Deep Blue: http://echeng.com/travel/galapagos2003/

Sky Dancer: http://www.echeng.com/travel/ecuador/skydancer/

good luck with your decision. :lol:

I just returned from Galapagos and a trip on the Deep Blue - large, comfortable, fast boat. Very eager and likeable crew and 1st class amenities. We spend 3 days at Darwin/Wolf - 17 whale shark encounters, tons of hammerheads, manta rays, and even a huge school of silky sharks. The currents can be tough - you basically hold on to rocks and look up at the show for most of your dives. Your neck can get a little stiff, especially when dealing with the double hoses of a rebreather...but the dives are AWESOME.

enjoy!

- MP

Hi,

I’m going with the Deep Blue on the last week of September. I wonder what wetsuit I should take with me. 3mm / 5mm / 7mm ?

Thanks

Gadi Porat

Gadi: I used a 7mm semi-dry. was too warm on the north, and perfect in the south. :D But I get cold.

a 7mm with a hood or a hooded vest should be fine...

I've been on the Aggressor. It was fantastic. I know someone who has personally been on the Aggressor and Lammer Law and feels the Lammer Law is just as fantastic and actually preferred it to the Aggressor if given a choice.

I had dinner with one of our shop DMs who just returned from a trip on the PH boat. She was not impressed with the boat or food, but loved the dive guides.

I have no first hand knowledge on Deep Blue, but here is report from someone who has been on both the Deep Blue and the Aggressor.

http://dive.scubadiving.com/talk/read.php?...938791&t=938791

Here's the follow up with dissenting opionions about her dissenting opinion

http://dive.scubadiving.com/talk/read.php?...943823&t=943823

Deep Blue pricing is pretty hard to beat. The Aggressor is still the standard.

Regardless of the boat, it's a great trip.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements