Unfortunately one of my Inon Z240 is acting up, and this just a week from my trip to the Philippines. It seems not be working in manual or full mode - it fires but seems to be stuck at the same low output regardless what the output dial is set to. The magnet is in, so ACC should be off. When in STTL-LOW it seems to work, the output changes depending on the camera's flash power.

I know there has been some issues reported with the magnet being corroded on the Z240s, so I removed the push button to have a look. The magnet seemed OK - didn't see any obvious corrosion - but it was loose and not attached to the button. Very well, attached it yesterday and retried – same issue. Since I have another Z240 that is working, I tried to switch the push buttons just to see if that made any difference. Unfortunately the issue remains. The second Z240, which was was working fine before, is still working with the other Z240s push button/magnet in place.

Some quick facts:

* Olympus OMD EM-5

* Nauticam housing

* Optical flash trigger, use the OMDs flash to trigger (set to manual, as low as possible)

Not sure what else to do, is shipping for service the only option left? I'm going to Hong Kong just before my Philippines trip staying for a few days, does anyone know of a Inon service center that might have a look in-house?

Many thanks!

Usually when the Inon starts having gremlins, it's the internals. Check with the Inon website for dealers but I doubt they can do such a quick turnaround. Check if they have the Z240 replacement kit in stock or have them order it so it's there when you arrive.

How are the flash tubes looking? If they are brown-ish, or more brown than in your working strobe, they may be cooked and not able to produce full power. You noted that it works on S-TTL - I had this "fix" working as well on one of mine when shooting electrically connected. I found it to be an intermittent issue where on a single dive once it fired a few times on S-TTL I could switch it back to full. The magnet sometimes changes things, sometimes doesn't.

Decided not to bring the gremlin infested Z240, as I could not get it to work properly. Will have a look at the tubes once back, didn't think of that. It's a shame to have to send it back, it's not that old but unfortunately the warranty just expired :(.

Anyway thanks for the feedback!

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I have the same problem, i am also using OMDE5, Nauticam and optic flash trigger. "It fires but seems to be stuck at the same low output regardless what the output dial is set to."

Did you manage to find a solution? Or did you send for servicing? The z240 i am using now is 5+ years old but had less than 50 dives.

My ACC knob was pressed, locked and left for a couple of years.... it was stuck for a bit.

Edited by joejoearmaniii

Unscrew the acc knob to make sure the magnet bit is still there.

Bill

Joejoearmaniii - sorry didn't see your reply until now. Unfortunately not fixed yet, had it in the shop for service but they couldn't find any issues at all so returned it back to me. Tried it again some weeks ago but still have the same issue - not sure what is going on but I'm even more surprised the shop is claiming it works perfectly. Will bring the strobe in again and try it together with them. I'd also unscrew the magnet as suggested above to see if the magnet is still alive, mine was so that isn't my issue.

Patrick

Good luck with your diagnosis - all of my Z240 problems have been intermittent except for the tubes burning out. In particular with the low power firing issues the strobes seem to work on the surface but not at 5m, or work at 5m for the first 10 minutes and then stop. Have you tried the S-TTL setting underwater? Sometimes that can reset things for the dive.

Sponsors

Advertisements