snowscuba

Do I need the dive housing for GoPro Hero 4 Silver?

Hi All,

I used to have a Hero 2 which I manually changed the round port to a flat port but used the standard housing for UW video. I just ordered a GoPro Hero 4 Silver and now I am wondering if I need to order the dive housing. The standard is rated to 40m which sufficient for my dives, but besides max depth are there any other differences? Seems the locking is different?

Did anyone hear of problem using the standard housing for diving?

Thanks so much

Edited by snowscuba

Hi

Was saying you ordered a Hero 2 Silver a typo?

If you have ordered one in the GoPro 4 series - the GoPro 4 Silver - you do not need an underwater housing. Don't know though about the GoPro 2 - I think you do need a housing for that.

Get the 4 - and you get a monitor on the back that you can see u/w as well.

Edited by TimG

Yes, get the housing rated to 60m. I used the 40m housing my GP 3+ came with and it flooded on my first dive through the port. They replaced everything without any questions. I bought the 60m housing and have had no problems.

Hi

Was saying you ordered a Hero 2 Silver a typo?

If you have ordered one in the GoPro 4 series - the GoPro 4 Silver - you do not need an underwater housing. Don't know though about the GoPro 2 - I think you do need a housing for that.

Get the 4 - and you get a monitor on the back that you can see u/w as well.

Yes, I meant to say Hero 4 Silver. Correct this now.

Thanks

Yes, get the housing rated to 60m. I used the 40m housing my GP 3+ came with and it flooded on my first dive through the port. They replaced everything without any questions. I bought the 60m housing and have had no problems.

Wow, but that shouldn't happen anyway, unless you went below 40m. Seems like the housing was defective.

Agreed. I got the Silver 4 for my partner a while ago and she's done 50 dives in Bonaire - many down to 30m - in the standard housing. No problem at all.

The difference between the standard and the 60m housing may only be the tension on the springs. They need to be stiffer for greater depth.

The thickness of the housing is different. The material is probably the same.

I have both of them. I use exclusively the dive housing for diving. The std housing for anything else. Putting it out in the sun to take time-lapse.. Trashing it around on land and stuff. Remember it's plastic after all. Store in cool dry place when not in use. And the gasket should not be stressed ( ie. The housing is not closed and locked) when not in use.

Wow, but that shouldn't happen anyway, unless you went below 40m. Seems like the housing was defective.

Yes, the housing was defective. It happened at 3m. And that's my point, reading around it seems that there are quite a lot of defective 40m housings. Much safer to get the 60m housing if you are going to use it a lot.

Sponsors

Advertisements