seansrs968

Chuuk and Typhoon

Just saw on my FB that the island of Chuuk has been hit by a typhoon. If anyone here has been there to dive the wrecks, you know that the island very ill equipped to handle such a thing. I hope that all live on the island are okay and survive this storm. It is very unusual for a storm to hit this island. I hope that outside aid will be provided to the people of Chuuk. These are some of the nicest people I have ever met.

Initial reports indicate the storm may have been worse than reported. So far 3 deaths, many structures and houses damaged, and considerable flooding. No indication yet of major problems with basic services.

It is now headed to Yap, where they are bracing for even more as the storm gains energy moving westward.

I work for an organization that finances and builds major infrastructure in both places including water supplies, solar enery systems, and wind turbines. We expect to be involved in the rscovery effort.

Unfortunately, with climate change causing rising seas and extreme weather, these sort of storms will happen more often. Let's hope everyone stays safe.

From another board:

Odyssey: Stuck on reef with melon sized hole in her, engine room partially flooded, rudder gone and props damaged. Locals stole the skiff.
Siren: Trashed by locals but do not know about storm damage.

ThorFinn: Ok

Blue Lagoon: Ok.
Truk Stop: Ok.

Sponsors

Advertisements