chipi

After trip housing maintenance

Hey all

After the trip is done and fresh water soaking is done and everything is put apart, what do you do to maintain your gear: housing, arms, threads ...and make sure housng is ready for few months in closet or is ready for the next trip?

No matter how good fresh water soaking is, there will always be some salt in some of the threads, who knows how those buttons are looking from inside ... What do you do? I am sure some of you have routine you can share?

Also, do you use some grease to lube up threads on arm joints and between housing and grips before the trip?

Cheers,

Marko

You might want to check out our Maintenance Handbook. Warm water and vinegar will dissolve salt, maybe a spray of silicone lube and light grease. You can take out the main o-ring and put it in a baggie inside the housing.

• Like 1

Lanocote, (available from Backscatter) does the trick with threaded fasteners, before and after the trip.

I can also recommend a product called Tef-Gel. After making sure you've gotten rid of any salt deposits and corrosion, treat all bolt threads with Tef-Gel. It lasts a very, very long time.

After rinsing the housing in the shower (I do need to get a big tub for it..) the first thing I do is use a Microfibre cloth to remove all the water off the dome or flat port I've used that day. Leaving water on the glass may cause water 'burns'.

Great tip on the foam cleaning buds - honestly never seen these before, a quick look on eBay and they come up as ITW TexWipe type cleaning solutions for PCB and the like - great tip thanks Jack.

Edited by thetrickster

Sponsors

Advertisements