SPARKELS

Can the Canon 7D fit in the new Ikelite Housing for the 7D MkII

Can anyone tell me if the new Canon 7D MkII can fit into the old Ikelite housing for the 7D. Ikelite say NO !!!!! I guessed that, but can you

tweek it in or not, otherwise another $1800.00. !!!!!!

Thanks Marc for the input, seems like its to be a new housing. I do use the Q button a lot and feel it would also be better to have acces to my set Conf 1/3 and the Manual Dial

I also asked Ikelite if they would do an upgrade for that button but alas no luck.

Going from a real video camera to a 7D, I missed the autofocus when shooting video, so I went back and forth with Ikelite, asking about using a 7D MKII in a 7D housing, The answers I got were NO, the controls are in different places. I had to see for myself, so I put the two cameras side by side. Mounting a 7D MkII inside my 7D ikelite housing, I see only two issues, the new button on the left top knob that sets M, B, Av, etc. that keeps the knob locked needs to get accessed, if you wish to turn the knob. Second, the rotary knob that locks the mirror up doesn't reach correctly because they moved the control (start-stop) higher up on the camera a tiny bit.

Two mods, a spacer on top of the release button, most likely stuck to the blunt end of the control shaft, and the 1/8" SS rod that flips the mirror lever needs to be shortened. If the plastic bumper was taken off, it would work, but it would scratch the camera. My plan is to replace the shaft, cut the 1/8 rod shorter and put the plastic bumper back on. I do not want to make any permanent modifications to the housing, as I still have two 7D bodies besides the 7D MkII I have. So it appears that by changing one part and putting a spacer on the other, the housing will work.

Ikelite sells the parts, my plan is to buy the control rod for the 7D MkII model (6871.08) and install it in the housing.

We agree that there will be some functions that will not work on the camera but I can live with that, the auto focus for video is nice.

I don't see why another gland couldn't be added to the 7D housing to reach the Q button. Is that button all that important? The biggest issue is locking the plate down on the milling machine table

I'm sure Ikelite doesn't like this idea and if they knew what I'm going to do, would probably refuse to sell me the parts.

I asked once if they would sell a new back to the housing, they would not sell it, without exchanging the original back. I originally considered machining a new back plate.

I didn't see where anybody else responded on their conversions and how they worked out. I would love to hear how their mods worked out.

Jim

• Like 1

A quick follow-up. I contacted Ikelite, they have two web pages where they will sell parts, but, in general, they will not sell parts for their housings. They will sell glands for oem use; complete glands, the knob, shaft, actual threaded gland, etc. They are in fixed lengths and will need to be cut to size, 1/8" rods bent as needed, up to the buyer. They will not sell any of their push-button controls. So if you wanted to add another push button for the Q button, you would have to either find another source or fabricate one yourself. It's very clear, they do not want you repairing or making modifications of their housings. Anyone with access to a machine shop (as I do) can purchase 1/4" 303 stainless steel ground rod to make their own controls, it's not expensive. In my case, I want two inserts, one that fits the 7D mirror control (which I have), and one that has been modified to fit the 7D MkII mirror control.

Ikelite wouldn't even supply me with a parts list for the housing. I'm not really surprised as to how protective they are with their products.

If anybody would like to contact me directly, emptech at netzero.net, I'd like to hear from others who have made housing modifications.

Jim

Another update:

I began the transformation. I have found three items that needed to be fixed in order to use the controls: on-off switch, left-top function knob, and the AF selection lever, which flips the mirror and goes to video mode.

I purchased a foot of 303 stainless steel precision ground rod. The first part, the most critical, a two inch rod with an L-shaped lever attached to one end that actuates the selection lever. I chose not to modify the original as it can still be used for when I wish to return the housing back to a 7D.

I read where the power on-off shaft was not long enough to reach the power switch. Adding washers won't help, the screw is too short and they used red locktite. Actually, it depends on how tight the camera is attached to the base plate, but so that isn't an issue, the shaft needs to be longer. I fabricated a new on-off shaft with a new lever to actuate the on-off switch.

Because the function knob has to depress the center unlock button, the existing shaft was modified. It was actually easier to modify the shaft, and it can still be used with the 7D camera, just remove the nylon screw. Two plastic spacer washers were removed to give the shaft some in and out range, the shaft was threaded and a nylon screw added, it will depress the button.

I love a challenge, it is well worth my time to fabricate these parts, as Canon will not sell them, in fact, my design is slightly different than theirs.

My replacement parts make no modification to the camera housing at all. The only control I am not making access to is the Q button, would be nice, but we can live without it. If Canon would sell the push-buttons, which they will not, it wouldn't be any trouble at all to add the Q button. I could machine a new button but it isn't worth my time.

I attached photos, sorry, somewhat out of focus, it was difficult holding a flashlight and the camera at the same time.

Jim in Carmichael, CA

post-2702-0-49111200-1453610059_thumb.jpg

post-2702-0-80901500-1453696507_thumb.jpg

post-2702-0-77711500-1453696535_thumb.jpg

post-2702-0-62603000-1453696552_thumb.jpg

Edited by emptech

I realized that I made my reply in the wrong post, but it is still relevant. My other post is at http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=54066&page=2&do=findComment&comment=370409

Although I've not tried putting a 7d cam into a 7d m2 housing, I think it would work making the same control modulations. The nice thing about the control I made that flips the mirror is that my part is adjustable and the ikelite part is not. My part would work in both housings. The control that turns the function knob would probably have to be replaced with a new one as the part that depresses the lock button may prevent the control from pressing deep enough to rotate the knob. It is not a difficult control to duplicate. The on-off control was fairly critical, may require modification.

The only way I can give a straight answer would be to have the new housing and the 7d in my hands. 7d bodies I have.

I am diving in Maui at this time, I've had a couple problems with my camera, but they have nothing to do with the control modifications. One suggestion, the camera when shooting video, uses more power, so be sure and change batteries often.

Jim

Sponsors

Advertisements