Sign in to follow this  
CheungyDiver

Magic Lantern is at it again

Hello All

The Magicians in the Magic Lantern group has done it again.

If you have read this far then you must know that ML has ibeen cracking into the brains of Canon DSLRs. Not all of them but some and turning them into something more featured and enable fantastic video capabilities. Including exposure controls, focus, audio tools and RAW HD+ videos like 14 bit uncompressed RAW recordable directly to CF/SD cards. They have done more than the manufacturers who eventually add some of these to new generations of cameras.

Whats next? Well don't throw away your DSLRs just yet.....

They have just done something unimagainable - again. This is to crack a Canon DSLR to enable booting into a Linux Kernel. Wow what's that you must wonder?

This is big deal. The camera is not overtaken like a zoombie by the software and the camera has become a programmable mini computer. So anyone with a knowledge of Linux or App developers could write programs and use it in the camera! Think intelligent control of the camera like shape recognition (there is already smile recognition), daylight level auto trigger, controls for a quad, multi-spectrial, speed and motion detection and so on. With external detectors and devices working in tantum. Sounds far fetched? Unbelievable ? have a look at this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcBEG-g5cJg

Edited by CheungyDiver

It is real

No April Fool's joke.

It is early days but same goes for when ML first hacked the 5D MII and MIII.

Now you potentially can upload Fruit Ninja into your DSLR and play computer game waiting for safety stop :) LOL

cheers

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14847.0

The ML people are doing it here trying out half a dozen cameras without really frying the cameras...well some got stuck but recovery is just pulling the battery out. The program resides in the card. I am no expert in Linux but that system is used in many devices. I will wait and see how the community developes this new found spring of possiblities....watch this space.

Cheers
David

my bad.... they're still working on the 70d ML, so I'll watch this space

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements