phishphood

Any Comparison? Nikon D3200 vs Oly OMD-EM5 vI

Anyone have any thoughts as to which system they would prefer to use. Obviously neither is 'cutting edge' tech but they're both more than decent for IQ at the sizes I would be printing/publishing. I've got a used EM5 body in hand and am working on getting at least a kit 14-42 vII (/R) to either keep it or sell as a bundle. I also have a D3200 coming in used as a gift with an 18-55 kit lens (non-VR). I currently shoot a D40 dryland but aside from kit lenses I only have a 35mm f/1.8 and an old micro-Nikkor 105 (manual everything). Basically, both bodies would be shot with a kit lens for now and the foreseeable future. Cost is a slight issue at the moment, but it doesn't seem like there's much supply of used housings for either so I think that's fairly balanced. I'm mostly just entering U/W photo (very comfortable diving in general) and would be ideally using the same body for shooting on land. I really like the small size of the Olympus and since there's the built-in EVF I think it would work just fine (I really dislike liveview for everyday shooting). Any thoughts on pros/cons for each would be great and thanks for your time. Cheers!

My 2c. The EM5 is a proven peformer UW and housings can be picked up cheap as it is already old tech.

Can't comment on your lens selection for it. Do a search and read the pages of threads about this camera.

D3200 has a good sensor and is compact but it has no AF motor. If you want AF you are limited to only lens

with internal AF motors. I think that housing a DSLR to just use a kit lens is counter intuitive and uneconimical

as well.

Cheers,

Jim.

I have to say, having used the EM-5 with the 14-42 lens for a while then moved on, that I love the camera but don't like the lens very much either above or beneath the surface. It seems like a good focal range at first but is neither wide enough nor long enough and lacks close focus ability. The 12-50 is superior in all respects, has decent macro ability, and is not much more expensive if at all.

I'm using the e-m5 and an e-m1 for all my photography.

My uw setup is the e-m5, a 12-50 zoom and the panasonic 8mm fisheye. I originally bought the e-m5 specifically for uw as I didn't want to carry a full size housing and ports that my Nikon gear would require.

As it turns out, I ended up selling all my Nikon gear once I found out how good the m43 system performs. And I shoot professionally (photojournalist/portrait) for my career. It's that good. The only problem has been auto focus while on c-af, which I would say is not very good in the e-m5, but is almost the equal of the pro Nikon cameras in the e-m1.

Sponsors

Advertisements