Sign in to follow this  
scubamarli

Limit control on micro/macro lenses

Okey dokey,

I finally got this darned housing fixed (lucky you Craig, that's a whole other story); your wife should hug you and I'm experimenting with my 60mm macro lens. I was aware I couldn't get 1:1 with it underwater, but I'm not even getting close to 1:1.5...is this usual, or is it because I had the limit button on? I can't imagine going through the whole range of the lens in our less than bright B.C. conditions. I have a new 105mm, and probably with my penchant for the puny, it will end up my lens of choice,or maybe one of those 200mm cannons is a better idea. I'm used to close up in with coat hangers sticking in their faces...(framers) I want teeny..1:1 minimum, smaller than that, better. Any ideas?

Why are you unable to get to 1:1 ??? The lens certainly is capable of 1:1 reproduction, though there is a fair amount of extension of the front element when it is focused in at minimum distance?

The effect of the limit switch depends on where the lens is focused when you switch to "limit". On my example of the lens, limit will stop the lens from focusing closer than 1:3 if the focus is further out than this when engaged. If you focus at 1:1 and engage the limit, my lens will focus no futher out than about 1:25... So if you have the limit switch on, it would definitely contribute to the problem.

If you want to try 1:1, just put the lens on closest focus manually, and move the housing instead of any focussing dials. I never use the limit switch, and never had any trouble. But then again, i use manual focus quite a lot.

Cor

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements