allen

Edge of light and dark

I am still working on my technique. As folks can see there definitely a lack of sharpness. It was a drift dive and I really did not have time to set up as it was a pretty stiff current (Cozumel). I managed to get this one shot. ISO 200 f5 1/200 sec. I thought the composition was great and I did not notice the hole in the reef until later. I am finding that using my focus light all the time really helps with the focus. Comments and thoughts otherwise enjoy the photo as it was probably the best shot from the trip.

post-4161-0-91090700-1428746294_thumb.jpg

The interest in this photo is the clinging crab and the view through the reef. You have done well to observe a great combination of cool critter and background that is both beautiful (with the deepwater sea fans in the cave entrance) and communicates much about the main subject, where and the way it lives its life.

But, because of a lack of time (because of the current!) you have missed the opportunity of creating a really powerful image.

The sand is a major distraction, adding nothing to the image and massively out competing the more interesting subjects by being so bright. The blue of the hole through the reef is way too dark to contribute as well as it should. Your shutter speed is way too high, a slower shutter speed would allow the background to be seem much more clearly.

As the shot is now, you should crop away much of the sand and do what you can to brighten the blue coming through the cave. Given the chance to shoot it again you should have moved to your left and got closer. Filling the frame much more with the crab and the background. Although with these crabs they are often shy during the day, so if you had a zoom lens , I would have zoomed in a bit to maintain a bit of personal space for the crab.

I would concentrate my lighting on the crab, this will keep the tunnel nice and dark (its atmosphere will be lessened if you allow strobe light to spill down the tunnel). With a single strobe, lift it up a little higher to avoid over lighting the sand. With two strobes I would use crossed strobes in 10-2, allowing the light to fall of quickly, but more naturally than with inward lighting)

Alex

Thanks for the feed back Alex. Greatly appreciated. I am shooting with a single strobe at this point (on the right side of my rig). It actually makes for a really compact kit when traveling. I'll try some additional post processing using your suggestions. Thanks.

I am a very rank amateur with respect to underwater photography and editing but here is what I got in a few minutes with Elements 12 trying to follow Alex's editing comments.

post-4731-0-90544600-1430054244_thumb.jpg

Edited by rwe

Sponsors

Advertisements