katy-kid

Car wax for your camera housing??? Whaaaa

Question: So I am SUPER anal-retentive, (as most of us are...), about the cleanliness and overall long-term happiness of my Aquatica 5D MKIII housing. I heard through the grapevine that you can use CAR WAX on the aluminum coating to help promote the longevity of your rig. SO, has anyone tried this, is this a good idea, and what type of wax to use? Also, can you use just any old silicone on the metal parts and pieces of your rig to help keep corrosion away? Any tips would be mucho helpful, thank you!!!!

i would be careful with smearing stuff on your housing!
The wax may get in the small spaces between the buttons/dials and the housing clogging them.

This spaces between the button and the housing are essential to drain the water inside to let them dry.
Also i have no idea if the wax may ruin the o-rings.

Chris

I would not use "any old silicone" on the metal parts either. It might be incompatible with the O-rings, both the visible ones and the ones hidden inside the button and shaft holes of the housing.

If you want to keep your Aquatica (or any other) housing in pristine condition, I recommend the following:

Soak and rinse your housing after every dive even if you did not dive in salt water. Soak the housing for atleast half an hour in fresh water. In the beginning, at the middle and at the end, remember to operate all the pushbuttons, knobs and levers. The idea is to get rid of any sand grit, fine silt and salt water/crystals. I can tell that these cumulate in the various holes if you do not rinse the housing properly.

Take care of the main and dome port O-rings according to manufacturer's instructions. You should regularly observe the condition of the O-rings for any signs of decay, softening/hardening, cracks or other flaws and replace these O-rings when needed.

Unless you are really confident in DIY fine mechanics, be prepared to send the housing to a proper service center for a complete overhaul and replacing of all internal O-rings if you are experiencing repeatedly jamming or excessive friction of any of the controls. From a risk management perspective, it is better to replace the internal O-rings before they leak.

Hi katy-kid

Yeah, as Chris and r4e say, I'd be very wary of this unless you really know what you are doing.

A really good rinse and a longer one in warm water after a dive trip is about all I do. Much though I want my Subal to remain gleaming, I think you have to accept that the harsh conditions of salt water are going to leave their mark.

As has been recommeneded here previously, warm water with some white vinegar also helps get the salt away.

There are other off the shelf solutions for getting rid of salt 'Salt-Away' and 'Saltx' - haven't tried either, but hear good things about them

[Odd, my post appeared twice - so this is the deleted version]

Edited by TimG

I've used Salt-x in the past.

I can't honestly say that I could see any difference between using that and warm water and white vinegar. And the white vinegar is easy to find in the supermarket and it's cheap. You can put the difference in price to a nice bottle of wine which you can drink whilst you clean your housing.

• Like 1

Ahhh, very helpful advice, thank you all! I did not know about the vinegar, will def. try this and stay far, far away from the car wax!!

Edited by katy-kid

About the vinegar: how much vinegar for how much water? When you talk about warm water: 30 degree centigrade?

About the vinegar: how much vinegar for how much water? When you talk about warm water: 30 degree centigrade?

I usually use approx 1:1. Splash of white vinegar, splash of water. And warm to the touch. You're not trying to cook your housing. Stick your hand in. Does it feel warm? That'll do it :dancing:

Thanks Tim!

Thanks Tim!

My pleasure. Good luck with it.

Hi,
i put my housing after a dive trip for a week in a tank with reverse osmosis water.
We have that for our salt water tanks.
Pressing the buttons once a day, so even the last saltwater drop will be reached....

Water you use for frefilling a car batterie will do the same.

Regards,
Wolfgang

Sponsors

Advertisements