Raptor^

Thoughts on the OM-D E-M5 Mark II or the upcoming Panasonic's?

Anybody considering or using the OM-D E-M5 Mark II already?

The 5-axis IBS seems like a solid feature, would that be of any use underwater for photo and video you think?

I am after a video camera capable of making great stills, but I find the GH4 too big. Panasonic will probably release the G7 shortly and the GX8 after summer, and if any of those get similar IBS I would rather have a Panasonic body I think. For an all round camera it is sad the OM-D E-M5 Mark II does not have a built in flash.

Thoughts? I am in the never ending waiting game for "the next model", but it is so frustrating that all models are missing one or two key components or features that I really want as I plan on one body both over and under water. Sony will release a new A6000 soon also, but I prefer to go with m43 due to size and lenses available.

If your primary is shooting video, have you look into the Panasonic LX100? Or are you settle with interchangeable lens system?

Compacts are not an option, I've tried a few of those. With dry gloves and heaps of menus to go through for each setting I much prefer a dslr or mirror less with some buttons and dials. I also need it to be good in low light and the small sensors of compacts are not up to the task in my mind, even the m43 is weak in that area. But the size of a full size dslr or full frame sensor is not an option so m43 will be the compromise I guess.

I'm sold on M4/3 especially for travel and am using an EM5 (original). The IBIS is definitely a bonus for UW use especially macro, though I don't shoot video. If (when!) I upgrade it will be to an EM1 not a MkII. Same stabilization but better focus through combined phase plus contrast AF especially in low light, and better physical controls.

Troporobo--not to hijack this thread, but if I were you, I would wait for the next version of the e-m1 rather than buy the current one. The e-m1 is around two years old now. I have the current e-m1 and to tell the truth, it still hunts a lot in low light. And the phase detection doesn't kick in unless you are on c-af, not something I use underwater (although that might be something to consider for macro).

Yeah, fully agreed, there is sure to be an EM1 Mk II in the future and that would be the one to wait for.

I was not aware that phase detection only worked on C-AF! That seriously reduces my interest and hopefully would be addressed in the next iteration. I must learn to read reviews more carefully . . .

I hope that the phase detection will be available (possibly as a user accessed option) on other af settings. But, in bright light, contrast detection is actually faster than phase detection. I will say that the e-m1 with the v3.0 upgrade is very accurate in c-af, not quite as good as a DSLR, but very good nonetheless. Next time I'm using my 12-50 underwater, I might try the c-af just to see what happens.

I have the E-M5 II in Cozumel Mexico and I am finding the AF to work quite well with my Olympus 60mm macro lens. I am using a new Ikelite prototype housing with two Ikelite DS-161 strobes. The attached photo is with the 60 macro and Nauticam CMC closeup lens, image about 8.5mm on the long side. I use S-AF so no comment on how the C-AF may work with this new camera. Now if I could only get a software update that includes this camera for LightRoom 5. The new LRT 6 includes the camera but with the internet here it would take two days to upload.

post-2618-0-06461200-1429803523_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Adding my contribution to this discussion (i was looking for a thread discussing the latest Oly m4/3 lenses).

I moved from a Nikon D7000 (hugyphot housing) to an Olympus OM-D (mark I, in Nauticam housing) about 2 years ago.

The size factor is definitely great, but now that i am intensively using this camera, i must say the autofocus is definitely a step down from the Nikon D-SLR (no surprise), i mean it's the one thing that makes me regret a bit the switch (along with short battery life).

So i also really hope this gets improved in next Oly bodies, maybe this EM-1 mark II... :-)

Interesting thread. I too have been considering making the jump to m4/3 because I am getting frustrated with how slowly Canon is moving with mirrorless. The Panasonic GX8 was released today, and is now the highest resolution m4/3 camera available (20 MP). It lacks on on-board flash, but perhaps this is not a big problem, I hope that Nauticam has (or will make) a flash trigger for it. Although quite pricey, the GX8 now seems to be the top dog in the m4/3 world, at least until the Olympus OMD EM-1 mark ii comes out (perhaps early next year?).

It will be interesting to see what housing and port options become available for the GX8, and I look forward to reading the first underwater reviews for this camera.

From what I've heard, I doubt there will be an Oy EM-1 successor until late next Spring. I've had no problems with focus in low light especially with the new f1.8 8mm FE, which is an awesome light gatherer.

The below was taken in available light at 135'.

EM1-8mmFE-2.jpg

Edited by JackConnick
  • Like 4

Jack, saw your review of the f1.8 8mm FE got me wanting, nice writeup! I'm shooting the EM5 in a Nauticam housing but didn't yet see a dome port for the new Oly 8mm FE. Anyone know if one is in the works or if an existing port will work?

Thanks!

Brian

Jack, saw your review of the f1.8 8mm FE got me wanting, nice writeup! I'm shooting the EM5 in a Nauticam housing but didn't yet see a dome port for the new Oly 8mm FE. Anyone know if one is in the works or if an existing port will work?

Thanks!

Brian

You can use the 4.33" dome with the mini extension 20 or the 140mm glass dome with 17mm mini extension

It also supports zen parts

The 4.33" works fine down to f/3.5 with the Panasonic lens am not sure you can push the Olympus two stops down without the larger glass

Brian, yes Zen has port solutions. Nauticam just updated their port chart for the 8mm FE to use the #36132 Mini dome and #36620 20mm extenstion.

Edited by JackConnick

Very nice shot indeed Jack and thanks for posting it. I am hoping that the Panny GX8 with Oly Pro lenses will also be able to do that, just because I prefer the rangefinder style on land.

From what I've heard, I doubt there will be an Oy EM-1 successor until late next Spring. I've had no problems with focus in low light especially with the new f1.8 8mm FE, which is an awesome light gatherer.

The below was taken in available light at 135'.

EM1-8mmFE-2.jpg

I read your review and you shot this with the Olympus 100mm dome

What's the cost of the new PT-EP13 housing with the dome and extension compared to nauticam or zen options?

I read your review and you shot this with the Olympus 100mm dome

What's the cost of the new PT-EP13 housing with the dome and extension compared to nauticam or zen options?

The Olympus dome is $899, but will not fit the PT-013 for the E-M5 MKII. At this time, I don't think there is an adapter as I noted in my blog article. Whether Zen will make an adaptor is unclear, but because the Olympus dome uses a larger port diameter opening, I don't think it will work to go the other way to the older size that the E-M5 MKII uses. But this is all in a bit of flux.

Suffice to say Nauticam, Aquatica, Subal and others are more expensive, but you have many more options for ports.

Jack

Edited by JackConnick

Yeah, that's been going on for a while, but it's silly - you send your housing in and they have to make the change.

They started doing it on the E-PL7 housing; replacing the short port for the longer version. But I don't think it's applicable to the PT-013 series as the dome for the 8mm is larger; it won't fit without an adapter.

Going back to the original post I was on a workshop and we had Olympus OMD-EM5. EM10, EM1 Panasonic GX7 and GH4 this was not a macro trip and looking at the resulting pictures there was little to no difference in the IQ of the 4 cameras over a set of lenses. In general seems like all 16 megapixels sensors are pretty much the same and the only difference with the new models are features. For what concerns focus I have no issues of any sort with mid range zoom to fisheye however haven't tried the 60mm yet. Worst case there is a manual focus gear if it gets really hard to focus that is more affordable than buying a new camera and housing for a marginal autofocus improvement?

Some focus issues i had encountered where either in silky water that the camera would focus on particles, or that it wouldn't "consider" a very thin subject, such as a pipefish. This actually occured last week to me: trying to shoot a thin pipefish with the 60mm macro: i put the focus point on the pipefish's head (meaning that small square right on the head), and it took me 4-5 attemps before getti g focus right. This was in bright light (shallow), i believe the issue was my focusing "square" was larger than the fish itself!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Some focus issues i had encountered where either in silky water that the camera would focus on particles, or that it wouldn't "consider" a very thin subject, such as a pipefish. This actually occured last week to me: trying to shoot a thin pipefish with the 60mm macro: i put the focus point on the pipefish's head (meaning that small square right on the head), and it took me 4-5 attemps before getti g focus right. This was in bright light (shallow), i believe the issue was my focusing "square" was larger than the fish itself!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Sponsors

Advertisements