bonadjalins

How important is underwater tripod?

Hi all,

Would like to get an opinion in regards of underwater tripod. I'm thinking to purchase one for video both for WA shoot and macro.

I do have gorilla pod that can be used underwater but adjusting them is such a pain!

Considering the price - the proper one is expensive! - I do want to be sure it will help in getting a stable clip.

Thanks in advance!

Bona

I had a GorillaPod (I think it was the SLR-Zoom one) - it broke after 3 dives. (a couple of the joints cracked)

I've now got a XIT404 one from Jack at Optical Ocean Sales - https://www.opticaloceansales.com/xit-404-tripod.html

Its an expensive item to start with, but with the cost of delivery to here - made the whole thing about 950€!!

For sure its a great asset to have for underwater videography - especially for macro video!

Would I buy again - yes I would, the quality and flexible of the system have been great

But maybe I will wait for the Euro/Dollar rate to get better first!!

• Like 1

If you are a bit handy, this is what I have made myself. The bracket with the handles on it is part of my Gates video housing. The rest is DIY. A old tripod an some spare time.

post-22670-0-88120000-1429794212_thumb.jpg

post-22670-0-87273000-1429794229_thumb.jpg

post-22670-0-30550200-1429794248_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I've used a big gorillapod for the last 5 years. My first lasted 4 years, onto my second now. I could not live without it for macro, it's essential. I like the gorillapod, as you can either stand it on three legs, or push two legs forward to balance your rig that way. What setup are you using?

• Like 1

Here is another DIY solution for Macro. I doubt tripod is useful for wide angle, especially on wall dive.

10926452_780419708704438_868139316850564

• Like 1

Here is another DIY solution for Macro. I doubt tripod is useful for wide angle, especially on wall dive.

10926452_780419708704438_868139316850564

I disagree. I use a tripod for wide angle, can get some great shots when the camera is staying still. Sometimes nice to leave the camera and let the fish surround it.

I also use the legs as a wider handle to help with more stable shots. Better than the housing handles imo.

It also makes my housing more stable above water, so it is more stable on sometimes rocky boats.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Would like to get an opinion in regards of underwater tripod. I'm thinking to purchase one for video both for WA shoot and macro.

I do have gorilla pod that can be used underwater but adjusting them is such a pain!

Considering the price - the proper one is expensive! - I do want to be sure it will help in getting a stable clip.

Thanks in advance!

Bona

Adjustin them is always a pain. You have to ask yourself, if it's important to you...? For me and macro, it's essential. For others, not so much. Keep in mind I also shoot a dslr, so that pretty requires a tripod. If you are satisfied with footage you get without one, then you are fine. If not, get one.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Bona

Like most things in life, the answer is "it depends". :)

It depends on what you want to use it for.

For most WA shooting underwater, you don't need a tripod. For some scenes it might help but for others it will be a hindrance.

For most macro, a tripod is very important. If you are shooting bottom-dwelling creatures, a large Gorillapod is great. I think that the "Focus" model is the biggest. If you soak them well after diving, they will last a while. Easy to position. More difficult to keep still.

A tripod wth hard legs is necessary when you want to do macro above the bottom, like on a wall. But, here you will often have a challenge finding the best position to place the legs. The "hard leg" tripods are also a bit more fiddly to adjust the camera angle and position. But very stable.

In summary, there is no perfect answer. You need to work out what works best for you and then become familiar its use.

Regards

Peter

Edited by peterbkk
  • Like 1

Thanks all for the terrific answer! I think I'll get mine pretty soon :)

I had a GorillaPod (I think it was the SLR-Zoom one) - it broke after 3 dives. (a couple of the joints cracked)

I've now got a XIT404 one from Jack at Optical Ocean Sales - https://www.opticaloceansales.com/xit-404-tripod.html

Its an expensive item to start with, but with the cost of delivery to here - made the whole thing about 950€!!

For sure its a great asset to have for underwater videography - especially for macro video!

Would I buy again - yes I would, the quality and flexible of the system have been great

But maybe I will wait for the Euro/Dollar rate to get better first!!

Yes, I think I'll also get the XIT404. But, I don't think the USD rate will get cheaper any time soon now. -_-

If you are a bit handy, this is what I have made myself. The bracket with the handles on it is part of my Gates video housing. The rest is DIY. A old tripod an some spare time.

Kudos for the DIY tripod! Wow! You can also adjust the leg's length! But bit cumbersome to extend them underwater considering the leg section is not that long don't you think? But it sure looks good!

I've used a big gorillapod for the last 5 years. My first lasted 4 years, onto my second now. I could not live without it for macro, it's essential. I like the gorillapod, as you can either stand it on three legs, or push two legs forward to balance your rig that way. What setup are you using?

I'm using GH4 in Nauticam housing. I'll keep my Gorilla Pod for my GoPro for sure.

This is I think the solution moses is using. We came up with this idea two years ago.

http://interceptor121.com/2013/05/11/tips-for-underwater-video-tripods-and-monopods/

I have also used the monopod option which is just having ball segments on the bottom of the tray and a single 8" arm segment on the back.

For macro it is essential this is a trip to lembeh few years ago where I used this set up

The octopus are hand held but look at the smaller stuff (not on a wall)

Edited by Interceptor121
  • Like 1

Sponsors

Advertisements