Bushy

Nauticam CMC-1

Has anyone used the Nautical CMC-1, I just bought one to use with my OMD EM-5 and Oly 60mm lens. Going out for a test dive with it tomorrow. Just wondering if there are any pointers for this set up. Does the focus switch of the 60mm need to be set to any particular setting ? I currently have it set to 0.19 to infinity.

set the switch to the 0.19 to 0.4 because you will be shooting VERY close to the subject around 20mm or less. I would set to S-AF NOT C-AF to reduce the lens hunting. If you are setup for using the back focus I would do that. VERY shallow depth of field with this C/U lens so control of movement is paramount.

A sample with the E-M5 II in an Ikelite prototype housing, 60mm macro, manual with two Ikelite DS-161 strobes, CMC-1, 2:1, Iso-200, 1/320th, F-20, this is twice life size, 2:1.

post-2618-0-88082300-1430070559_thumb.jpg

Thanks Phil I will give those settings a go, I already left this morning before I saw your comment. Agreed on the depth of field...found it a little challenging as there was a bit of a current this morning. I'll have to check the back focus not sure if if I am setup for that...not quite sure how to find that out but I'm sure a quick google should sort me out.

As a general rule when using the 60mm should I always have it set to 0.19 - 0.4 and also use those other settings you mentioned ?

This is a sample shot from this morning

F-20, 1/250, ISO 100

p1137942386-4.jpg

This was another

f-20 1/250, ISO 200 - a little harder to stay still on this one.

p1137942394-4.jpg

Edited by Bushy
  • Like 3

Great images, those settings are what works for me as a starting point and I always have the lens set as above to reduce hunting of the lens.

My review of Nauticam CMC is with my Editor and should post on May 1 in Underwater Photography Magazine at, uwpmag.com this is a free PDF download for current additions.

Edited by Phil Rudin
  • Like 1

The CMC works with the 60mm Macro does it? I have the SMC lens (sorry to be a little off topic)and have found it hard to use, mainly from being still enough. Phil is there any difference between the two lenses when used with the 60mm?

The CMC works with the 60mm Macro does it? I have the SMC lens (sorry to be a little off topic)and have found it hard to use, mainly from being still enough. Phil is there any difference between the two lenses when used with the 60mm?

The CMC gives you 2x on the Oly 60 mm. The SMC is only 1.6x or something. I found out the hard way after noticing little differen in the magnification between the SMC and the ReefNet +5 (1.7x) on my Oly 60 mm.

Edited by EspenB

Bushy -

Thanks so much for posting these real-world samples. I recently sold all my gear and got an EM10/60mm Macro/CMC, but I've only been able to try it in the pool. Your images fill me with excitement! The easiest instructions for EM5 Back Button Focus are here:

http://www.lessgearmorephotos.com/back-button-autofocus-olympus-om-d-e-m5/

Once I started using back button focus for macro, I felt like there was no going back. Keep posting real world CMC samples!

Excellent information about the CMC and back button autofocus. I learned alot about setting up my camera E-M1 for macro work and I definitely want to get the CMC now. AweSome photos!

I want to buy the CMC for my Sony NEX7 in an Nauticam Housing. But know i saw another Wet Diopter i calls Aquako 4. I prever the CMC but i am not sure.

Any Tipps?

But if you are moving a little bit under water, the back button autofocus isn't so good?!

Anyone test the SMC vs CMC for image quality? I recently bought the SMC for my Oly 60mm, not having done my research and knowing about the existence of the CMC. My dealer says SMC sharper quality. Higher magnification comes from shortening the working distance correct? I found the SMC hard enough as it is, not sure if I would personally be able to get any closer and get a half decent picture.

• Like 1

If you have plan to get into Super Macro, then the SMC is the way to go since you can get the multiplier for it (but it's quite expensive: http://reefphoto.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=7183).

I have both the CMC-1 and Aquako IV. On the Panasonic LX100, the Aquako IV is not usable because the 52mm native thread on it cause vignette. If you don't plan to get into Super Macro, then the CMC-1 is good because it's cheaper and lighter then SMC, and you can stack another diopter on top of the CMC-1, but the working distance will be really really short.

$150 just for the multiplier flip holder! I really want to look like a dive dork with double flip SMC+Multiplier...

I already have a Subsee +10 that I use with Olympus 60mm. Does it make any sense to get a CMC-1? Better magnification, better quality, better focus....?

I just sold my Subsee +10 and bought a CMC-1. The physical size of the Subsee means you have to pullback from the min focus distance to get it in between camera and subject which means you only get about 30% magnification increase as opposed to 110% on a DSLR 100mm macro lens for which it was designed.

The CMC-1 has been designed to give maximum magnification with the Oly 60mm macro lens and I tried it last weekend and it does give 100% magnification increase or 2:1 life size. Focusing is a bit better than the Subsee but you still need a focus light to stop it hunting.

My understanding is that the Olympus 60mm already has 17.3mm on the wide end without diopters. That sound already really small you can almost fill the frame with a Pygmy. Obviously the CMC achieves even more at 9mm but a working distance of 22mm seems really too close. What's so small to need a capture area of 9x6 mm???

Edited by Interceptor121
  • Like 1

Plenty of small nudibranches. And other supermacro

I find it difficultcto use the cmc since its difficult to place the strobes when the Subject is 20 mm in front of the port.

post-50926-0-63240500-1437364354_thumb.jpg

EM1 with 60mm macro, CMC-1 and single YS-D1.

Nudi is 25mm long no crop. Head is about 4-5mm across.

Edited by Griff
  • Like 1

hello fellas

I've just migrated to the Nikon D 500 with a Nauticam Housing from a Sony RX 100 on a Recsea , just got it put together,

i live in Cebu City PH.

I am under the impression that Nauticam CMC-1 is only for compact and mirrorless cameras . Will this work , may I use it with

the new package, i've a 105 mm micro lens and gonna try but not sure what to expect.

Can't find a buyer for the compact rig and wondering if i have to sacrifice this lens/diopter as well to re-sell

, the recommended one is Nauti Super Macro Converter from what I gather .

thanks john

Any comments on the OLY 60mm + Nauticam CMC-2?

According to Nauticam tables, the OLY 60mm + CMC-2 gives you a longer focus range (33 – 120mm)

Looks like CMC-2 is right option with the OLY 60mm

Regards,

Jose

Nauticam CMC-2.pdf

hello fellas

I've just migrated to the Nikon D 500 with a Nauticam Housing from a Sony RX 100 on a Recsea , just got it put together,

i live in Cebu City PH.

I am under the impression that Nauticam CMC-1 is only for compact and mirrorless cameras . Will this work , may I use it with

the new package, i've a 105 mm micro lens and gonna try but not sure what to expect.

Can't find a buyer for the compact rig and wondering if i have to sacrifice this lens/diopter as well to re-sell

, the recommended one is Nauti Super Macro Converter from what I gather .

thanks john

My other half is using the CMC-1 on a Nauticam/D500/60mm Macro setup with excellent results.

Bob W

Sponsors

Advertisements