Hello Wetpixel Hivemind!

I'm hoping for some feedback on the more affordable series of housings to be used with one of the high end compacts like the Sony RX-100 (any one of the 3 models) or Canon G7X. I know that the Nauticam and Recsea aluminum housings are the stars, and that's all I hear from people in retail. But I know the less expensive housings see plenty of use and popularity, so can any of you chime in and let me know your experiences and thoughts on it?

Any comments on reliability (most importantly, will it stay dry??), functionality of buttons etc, ergonomics, size (I've decided to go with a compact mostly for size and flexibility), and accessory lens options would be greatly appreciated.

I would also be happy for any thoughts on Meikon and manufacturer housings (Canon etc). My understanding is that these housings are just not up to snuff for an avid diver and intermediate photographer (not all functions are available, plastic warps shallower than rated for, etc).

And just for context, I dive a lot in cold water, I've been photographing for several years and have loved macro in the past, but never had the opportunity to do wide angle, and I am very excited to finally be able to try it.

Thanks so much for any input!

Cheers

Emma

Try Ikelite housing and you will not be dissapointed.

and accessory lens options would be greatly appreciated.

This may be a very important factor for you.

You should consider the cost of 'accessory lens options' before you choose a housing. Some housings will be ready for 67m wet mate lenses. Other housings will require some type of adapter; that adapter could be expensive, might not exist, might not be satisfactory. And this may vary among camera models from the same housing manufacturer.

For the majority of housings, cameras get ruined by humans, very rarely due to a fault of the housing. (Human error, lack of maintenance, you loan it to a friend....)

So it is ergonomics and total camera system cost that are most important to me.

Cost is system cost. If a diver purchases a less expensive housing but has to spend a lot more money for an adapter for a wet-mate lens, the diver may have spent more on the camera system than if he had purchased the more expensive housing. (Plus may have reduced ergonomics simultaneously with spending more money.)

For example, most of the Canon housings (WP-DC##), and Sony housings, will not directly take a wet-mate lens. They are compact and reliable housings, attractively priced, but if you know you are going to be adding wide angle or close-up lenses, you should expect to pay more for for the system, than an Ikelite. Many Ikelite have 67mm threads on the ports. Many of the housings for point-n-shoot cameras are too small for 67mm thread, but Ikelite 67mm adaptors are very modestly priced. Olympus housings for their compact cameras very often have 67mm threaded mounts.

Ergonomics can be very negatively affected by adaptors. For too many of the clear plastic camera-branded housings, the only mounts available have to mount to the tripod mount on the bottom of the housing. Attaching the adpator there can cause great complications when you desire to add a camera tray. An example is here.

Strobe connections

If you will ever be using strobes, consider how the fiber optic cables will attach. Many housings have built-in receptacles for "Sea and Sea" style fiber optic cables. If the housing does not provide for direct attachment of fiber optic cables, there are inexpensive fiber optic mounts, but these can be aesthetic disasters and might not meet your standards for reliability.

So it sounds like both of you are happy with the ergonomics of the Ikelite? It seems like bulkier size and poor(er) ergonomics are some of the biggest complaints about Ikelite. Do you find that the Ikelite housings provide full functionality (as in all the dry functions are available underwater)? I know this would be model specific, so how about for the models you have dealt with? As far as accessory lenses, I have heard that Ikelite has very limited accessories because of the type of port they use. But just in the link Alan prov

Does anyone have any feedback about the new RecSea polycarbonate housings? They seem like one of the smallest plastic housings..

i do not know about now... but i seen many ikelite buttons, levels , etc breaking and misfunction.

some people say that its the user problem... but i think that having it break is not a total user rough use...

There are basically 3 classes of housings

2-300$ OEM or Meikon
5-700$ Ikelite or Fantasea
1000+ Patima, Nauticam, etc

OEM: housing work better than expected, usually they block at 30m/90ft, small
Ikelite: Bulky but sturdy design, buttons can corrode, on some housing only electric strobe connection, not all accessory lenses work as they should
Fantasea: nice, small and sturdy housing, better quality as OEM, some accessories available, very good bundle prices
Aluminium: interchangable ports, very sturdy, optical and electric strobe connection available, a lot of accessories (Nauticam)

Nauticam housings allow you to expand your system with pricy add on flip lens holders, macro lenses, several ports, very good vacuum leak detector, etc

Flooding: Usually a housing floods due a user error and not because of the housing itself. A Vacuum Leak Detector will greatly reduce the risk of flooding!

It depend for what you will use your camera and how often.

Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer

Sponsors

Advertisements