JohanKok

First images for underwater portfolio

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and have only recently acquired a DSLR setup for underwater. Landbased wildlife is what I normally do. The whole website/portfolio thing is new to me as well and I'm slowly building my website and blog. My first trip with my new outfit was to Portulano Diver Resort in the Philippines last weekend. 8 Dives, 100s of photos and so far these are the only onse I could rescue with Lightroom/Photoshop. Needless to say I have a leant a lot and have a lot to learn.

Constructive feedback on the portfolio would be appreciated.

http://www.johankok.net/#!/portfolio/G0000M2OB64jz.BE

Thanks,

Johan

Edited by JohanKok

Hey Johan

These are nice images. Composition is good, nice use of neutral space, rule of thirds - all that good stuff. The only suggestion on the composition I'd offer is that many of them are shooting down and, certainly for macro, I think it can increase the drama of the image if you can get below the subject and shoot up. This often means using a 45-degree viewfinder - if you can.

Depressingly though, nice though they are, I suspect you may find it hard to sell the images for anything approaching their worth (and the cost of producing them!) It's a tough market and you need something pretty unusual, seems to me, to make any real money. Lots of stock agencies have similar images of reef fish.

Thanks Tim,

I'll keep working on shooting up. I think, for now, my neck will just have to learn to bend a bit more after seeing the price tag on those 45 degree viewfinders :o

I hear you about selling images, It's certainly not easy and I'm not expecting anything until I have a much more substantial and improved portfolio (above and below water).

Cheers,

J

Yeah, the price of the 45 degree finders is a bit of a choker. I have to say though, if anything has made a significant difference to my pictures, that is it. There are a coup of good threads about different viewfinders on Wetpixel if you haven't seen them already, Johan. Worth a read.

Good luck with the portfolio. You've got some cracking topside images for sure.

Sponsors

Advertisements