Sign in to follow this  
cjames

Advice on next camera to get

I'm finally getting around to upgrading my rig from my ancient 300D. I own a Canon 40D and 4-5 lenses now. Probably will keep that back as a backup but don't have to stay with Canon.

If I stay with Canon, was looking at the 7D Mark II or T6s. I see a lot of buzz on DPReview about the new Sony and a few others.

Anyway, just looking to take advantage of the amazing photographers on this forum to get some advice on what to get next.

Thanks!

That's quite a broad spectrum. I'm quite happy with the 70d that sits in the middle of that. The Nikon in the same price range is probably the d7200. It really depends on your lens spectrum. You'll need a good macro and wide angle lens. I use the 60 mm EFS and the old USM 100mm macro and the tokina 10-17 FE for wide angle.

Hi,

the camera itself IMHO just does not matter. The (by far!) most important factor for taking good photos is behind the camera...

Any up-to-date SLR or Mirrorless is "good enough". All the internet rave on dpreview about "camera x" in my eyes is mostly b.s.! Have you ever seen proof, i.e. real photos that have been taken by all those self-named experts? Fortunately, here on wetpixel it is different. Take, for example, Phil Rudin (who is mostly active in the mirrorless sub-forum): He is talking a lot about cameras, lenses, ports, technical specs and so on. BUT - he does not just talk, he has been using himself the gear he is talking about. And he supplies photos he took with this special gear.

Just a few things you should think about:

- If size/weight does matter, micro43 could be an option.

- First thing I would worry about is choice and availability of housings. So you now have the ultimate super-duper camera, only to find out that there is only one housing on the market, and you cannot operate all those tiny buttons on the back with your clumsy fingers and/or when wearing gloves, or you find that the housing is too big for your small hands. You need to take a housing physically into your hands to find out if it is okay for you.

- Next thing is choice and availability of lenses suitable for u/w photography (for example, you may have a limited choice with Sony) and their corresponding port systems. There are many threads about port/lens combinations here, but I think first choice should be the recommended combination from the housing manufacturer, they have tested it (or they should have...). Of course, if you already have some "good" lenses that you use u/w and want to keep them instead of selling them on ebay, then your camera/housing choice is limited.

Regards,
Jock

Thanks guys. Have it down to 70D and 7D mark 2. I shot a gopro hero4 in Costa Rica last week and that has me interested in video again (but with image stabilization).

I have lenses and ports for 100mm macro, 10-22mm wide angle and the standard port for kit lens. My thought is the 7D2 because it looks like it might be better for video, but need to do more research. I will probably go with an Ikelite housing since I already own the ports and strobes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Corby

I currently use a Canon 7D (not Mark II) in a Nauticam housing. I have borrowed both the 70D and 7D Mark II from friends. Both are excellent cameras but I would lean toward the 7D Mark II for wildlife (i.e. fish!) with its excellent AF system and 65 cross focus points. Also the 7D II RAW files clean up very nicely and you can probably shoot up to 3200 ISO and still have a good keeper rate. The Mark II has a video auto focusing system as well. Not to downgrade the 70D - which to me is a great jack of all trades in the crop world - like the 5D Mark III is to the full frame world.

I have both of your lenses - great choices. I recommend adding a +2 diopter to the 10-22 as it really sharpens the edges. I have found the 60mm macro to be a great "bang for buck" lens and you can't go wrong with the Tokina 10-17 fisheye as well. I suggest them for consideration the next time you're itching for a new lens!

I have had several Ikelite housings (use one now for my Canon s-100 p&s) and find them to be both affordable and reliable. That being said, if you have the means to "upgrade" I do recommend going to a high quality aluminum housing - such as the Nauticam. I have found the form and simplicity of use have contributed to the equipment " getting out of my way" so I can concentrate on the image. You can purchase an adapter from Nauticam to allow you to use your ikelite ports. That eased the transition for my wallet as well. The adapter is of high quality as well.

I have shot the original 7D for several years and am now shooting the 7D mark 2. Both in Nauticam housings. And i must say, that the quality of the housing has almost improved more than the camera itself. Besides the AF i think the major improvement is the custom controls of the camera and the quality and controls of the housing itself. I liked my old Nauticam housing but the new one is just so much better. So i am with megtooth on this one: the nauticam is well worth a look.

Going for the 7d mark ii. I have all the ports and strobes for ikelite, so I think I will stay with them unless I can use them with the Nautical. I'll check on that. Thanks for all the advice. Now I just have to wait for the trip to Curacao which can't come soon enough.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements