Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyQuest

YS-D1 Minor Flood

I just returned from a 10 day trip. During my 4th dive on day 3, both strobes started flashing the red green indicating the batteries were spent. (I normally replace them after 3 dives). Upon opening them, I discovered that one had leaked a small amount of water into the battery compartment. It was just a few drops, and evidently not even enough to cause the strobe to malfunction. I’m very careful about removing and re-greasing the O-ring every time I open them up, but I guess there was a piece of lint or something (I didn’t see anything.) I washed the compartment out with fresh water and cleaned it up as best as I could with Q-tips, etc. (It’s a great design that the battery compartment is isolated from the inner electronics.) The strobe worked perfectly fine for the rest of the trip. Even the batteries were ok. However, as you can see, there is still a bit of surface rust. So my question is this: how can I best get out the rest of the rust and do I really need to? Does this warrant sending it back to the factory? Thanks.

post-4753-0-56885800-1432647605_thumb.jpg

Edited by JohnnyQuest

A bit of weak acid will help clean things up, or very diligent use of foam tipped wipers to mechanically clean up stuff. Then use some deoxit or similar to clean the contacts. Be aware though that you might see some return of corrosion over the next few months. I have one that a friend flooded and it has been good for 2 years since, but a friend had one that eventually needed to get repaired.

Bill

Thanks Bill. I haven't found any definitive suggestion on acid. It seems that white vinegar may be the best place to start. My concern is what's under the contacts. Those screws are pretty small, but I could probably get them out. I could try getting a small socket wrench onto the other contacts, but they look pretty flat. I don't know if that's asking for trouble to try to take them all out or if I should just dump some vinegar in, scrape off what I can, and leave it at that.

Yeah, I'd try the white vinegar diluted 1:1 with warm water; and perhaps use some tissue (or something like) soaked in the vinegar mix sitting on top the screws etc. And then a good clean up with a cloth (maybe some WD40?) and see how that goes.

As Bill suggests though, you may have a repair bill at some stage... hard to say without taking it all apart. But certainly worth a shot to see how it goes.

After the vinegar, rinse out with fresh water then 99% rubbing alcohol. The alcohol should displace the any leftover water and dry with no residue.

Oh wicked! Fingers crossed that is all it needs. :dancing:

I flooded my YS110 last year using Powerex IMEDION 2400 mAh batteries. Underwater I noticed that the O-ring was pushed out of its groove, and dark gunk and an air bubble escaped. I did the vinegar trick and it worked for the remainder of the trip. This year the same strobe flooded 3 times in the same manner, with the O-ring bulging out, as if a high internal pressure was build up displacing the O-ring. Fortunately, the strobe could be resuscitated each time. Initially it happened to two sets of the same IMEDION batteries while dives with Energizer 2450 mAh batteries worked fine. I am very careful with O-rings, even more so after the first flooding, but I don't want to blame the batteries because later on one set of the Energizer batteries also failed.

I just found a video from Blue Water Photo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uoiyydkSqo) that states that if a Sea&Sea strobe floods you need to replace the battery cap as it is no longer reliable for further use. So my repeated flooding this year may be due to that, although it is hard to see any change to the cap. I could get a replacement cap (they actually recommend to buy a spare cap in the video, suggesting that flooding is not a rare occasion) but by now the battery contacts are pretty disgusting so am planning to get a second strobe for the next trip. Maybe when the new YS-D2 starts selling next week I can get a good deal in a YS-D1 clearing sale.

Bart

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements