UndrH2Oman

Critter shot on the reef straits at Roatan, Honduras near CCV

Spotted this critter at 50 ft. on the wall. Only angle available was a straight shot on.

What may it be?? baby eel?? post-50859-0-78908600-1433303027_thumb.j

post-50859-0-78908600-1433303027_thumb.jpg

Edited by UndrH2Oman

I was quite sure I recognized your critter but wanted to confirm it with Ben @ Coralreeffish.com. He agreed, Blackbelly Blenny. Sorry I 'm not aware of the Latin/ scientific name. I found one once many years ago, in the shallows of Grand Cayman. Very tiny,perhaps 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. moving between the algae clumps on the hard pan at either Cobalt Coast or Turtle Reef..Tough to photograph, I got less than decent head on shot, but enough for someone at Reef to identify at the time. Havent seen one since, and I've been looking!! Have never known any one else to find one either..Great find!!

Edited by Quinn
  • Like 1

Hey Quinn,

WOW!... interesting. Thanks so much. I'll pass it on to the crew at CoCoView!

My good friend Mickey Charteris, from the other side of Roatan, sent me the following:

Blackbelly Blenny, found and shot by a friend of mine here. Never found one myself, but got it identified (Stathmonotus hemphillii) See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwNfb-EJ3L0

• Like 1

That is soon cool! Thank you so much. I will let my friends know about this at CCV!

Sponsors

Advertisements