raniero

mirrorless beginner

I think we are all on the same page here! Thanks for the info on the Nauticam SMC, that is something I would like to try if the local dealer ever brings it

Thank you guys, I have more or less finalized my decision but I have a small doubt left. I am going for the EM-1 with the Nauticam housing, one Sea&Sea YS-D1 only for the time being and I'll take the Olympus 60mm macro lens, since you all think it would be the best for the macros in Bali. My doubt is that the kit they were offering me had the camera coming with olympus 12-40 PRO f2.8, which they say it would be very versatile. However, since I definitely need the specific macro lens, would it make sense to have as second lens the 12-40 or you think it would be smarter considering a more specific second lens? Thanks again for your suggestions, they were great!

The 12-40 f2.8 would be a great general lens above water but for below the surface the 7" dome port and zoom gear are quite expensive. If you are only getting underwater lenses then look at a wide zoom like the Panasonic 7-14 (again dome and zoom gears not cheap), Panasonic 8mm with 4.3" dome or Olympus 9-18 with 4" dome, which would be great for the giant Mantas or Mola Mola if you go to Nusa Pedina (highly recommended).

A budget alternative as we have covered before is the 12-50 behind the macro port 65, utilising the electric zoom (no zoom gear) of the EM1 and a close up diopter if you see an interesting macro subject. I used this on my last 3 dives at Padangbai (also highly recommended) in Bali as the site has larger subjects like Rhinopias and Giant Frogfish that were too big for the macro lens my wife was using. Again the 12-40 would be good for the big critters but you can't put a diopter on itt for macro.

Edited by Griff

I have noticed that the 12-50 lens sells second hand for +/- $250. I really want the superior optics of the 12-40 Pro for shooting above water. So if there is a package that amounts to a decent discount on the 12-40, I'd get that setup and buy the 12-50 separately. But that is considering how to optimize both land and water uses.

then look at a wide zoom like the Panasonic 7-14 (again dome and zoom gears not cheap),

Take care, I read that the Pana 7-14 makes purple flare artefacts with Oly bodies:

http://trevinchow.com/blog/2012/10/24/olympus-om-d-e-m5-panasonic-7-14-bad-combo/

http://cameralabs.com/reviews/Olympus_OMD_EM1/EM1_with_Lumix_7-14mm_flare.shtml

Or can anyone contradict with this reviews?

I am also planning to get a new mirrorless camera and I also planed to get an Oly-Body, but now i think the GH4 is better, what do you think?

Note that the 12-40 is currently on sale for $799.

I got extremely lucky and picked one up from olympus refurbed and with 20% discount. Price was $519 + tax.

The build quality is very nice. I haven't taken enough photos with it yet to comment on that aspect.

I do not plan on using this underwater for all the reasons listed in the thread.

Take care, I read that the Pana 7-14 makes purple flare artefacts with Oly bodies:

http://trevinchow.com/blog/2012/10/24/olympus-om-d-e-m5-panasonic-7-14-bad-combo/

http://cameralabs.com/reviews/Olympus_OMD_EM1/EM1_with_Lumix_7-14mm_flare.shtml

Or can anyone contradict with this reviews?

I am also planning to get a new mirrorless camera and I also planed to get an Oly-Body, but now i think the GH4 is better, what do you think?

Check my thread on EM1 rear dial problem, which is a common fault beginning to wish I had gone with GH4.

The shop I bought it from did exchange it even though it was 6 months old but will be most disappointed if the new (silver) one has same problem.

sounds not good, thanks for the hint!

But also some GH4 has "shutter problems" :(

http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.co.at/2014/06/panasonic-gh4-user-review-part-4.html

did you hear already from this problem?

No did not pick that one up. I still have a Canon 700D in a Nauticam housing and I have not had any problems with 7 Canon DSLRs I've owned. Also the major draw back of mirror less is battery life. The reason I got the OM-Ds is for when we dive in Bali and overseas in general. With a DSLR we could easily shoot 3 long dives and on one occasion the strobes run out of power long before the battery went in the cameras. With the mirror less the batteries on the EM10 go first and the EM1 shortly after early into the third dive. I have now got spare batteries but that would need opening the housing, cleaning seals etc which is not ideal. Everything is a trade off and compromise I know and depends on what your priorities are to which system or camera you choose.

yes, the next "Problem" :(

The GH4 should be a little bit "better" than the OM-Ds.

How many pics can you take with one battery?

I was on a workshop last week and there were Panasonic GH4, GX7 Olympus OMD-M EM5 and EM10. There was very little difference amongst all in terms of colour and dynamic range if you compared at the same ISO. The GH4 most attractive feature is 4K video and in general Panasonic are better at video while Olympus are preferred by pure still shooters. Battery for all this models lasts between 2 and 3 dives. If you shoot with flash in manual at 1:128 power on my GX7 I get easily 250 shots that for me is more than 3 dive on average. With the vacuum system changing the battery is not an issue after each dive

Hello guys! To whomever dedicated some time giving me an advice, I was owing you an answer and this is what I eventually bought few days ago...

I eventually bought the Olympus OM-D E-M1 and I attached the following gadgets to my kit:

NA-EM1 housing for Olympus OM-D E-M1 camera

Macro port 65 for Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro
O1442EZ-Z zoom gear for Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ
Olympus 60mm macro F2.8
Flash Sea&Sea YS-D1 with optical fiber and arms 2 x 20 cm
To be able to use the camera above water and in water in no macro mode, I eventually selected an easy but versatile lens... I'll keep more expensive and specialized alternatives for the future:
Port 35 for Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ lens (with M67 thread)
Lens Olympus 14-42 F3.5-5.6 EZ
In few weeks I'll be diving in Bali with my new toy, can't wait!
ciao
Raniero

Sponsors

Advertisements