Sign in to follow this  
BrantD

3 versions of Sigma 17-70......which is best for Underwater?

I'm finally upgrading from my old S&S D200 setup to a Nauticam D7200 setup. I have a SIgma 17-70 2.8-4.5. which I seem to use once or twice on most trips.

While I'm buying new ports/ extension rings/gears, thought I would upgrade to the new Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.0 macro OS HSM. I find, there are atleast two different versions of this lens sense I bought mine.

Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.0 macro OS HSM

Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.0 macro OS HSM Contemporary or C

The Contemporary is the latest version, but has a 30% smaller barrel and different optics inside than the older models. I know optics have come a long way the last few years, but wanted to get others opinions here before I buy.

Thanks in advance for you help and advice.

Edited by BrantD

Thanks for the reply Elmer,

Here is what is confusing me. Below are the two lenses on B&H's site. (they are on other sites also.) Notice the different manufacturer #'s. I think the write-up at reef photo may possibly be out-dated and another version of this lens has come out. Sigma calls it "contemporary" lens, part of their new Contemporary line of lenses. They have almost the same number of elements and groups, but the newer is a thinner and longer lens. Reef specifically talks about the latest two versions being fatter than the original, Looks like they have gone back to a thinner one as this one is stated to be thinner by 30%, Thus my wanting to make SURE I get the best lens for underwater.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/670041-REG/Sigma_668306_17_70mm_F2_8_4_DC_Macro.html

Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Lens for Nikon

Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 3.1 x 3.5" (7.87 x 8.89 cm)

B&H # SI177028DCNQ MFR # 668306

Elements/Groups 17/13

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/909805-REG/Sigma_884306_17_70mm_f_2_8_4_DC_Macro.html

Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Lens for Nikon

Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 3.11 x 3.23" (79 x 82 mm)

B&H # SI1770284DCN MFR # 884306

Elements/Groups 16/14

Contemporary Lens Line

This lens is the first lens produced as part of Sigma's Contemporary line; deeming it lightweight and compact while still exhibiting high optical performance. This lens' wide range of focal lengths makes is suitable for a variety of shooting applications. Utilizing a smaller OS unit and an optimized distribution of optical and electronic elements, the size of the lens barrel is able to be reduced in size by approximately 30%. This reduction in weight is also afforded in part through the use of TSC materials in the barrel construction. This material offers high durability and rigidity but with less bulk than metal components.

I did find this at DP review http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma-17-70mm-f2-8-4-os-hsm

evidently this "C" lens has been out sense Aug, 2013

Here is a side by side comparison on DP preview http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=sigma_17-70_2p8-4_os&products=sigma_17-70_2p8-4

Which do you think would be better for Underwater........or do you think there is no real difference underwater? I have tried to assemble all the info I could find for your review, hoping to save you some time in advising me.

Thanks again for your help and advice as I'm really NOT a lens guy. :)

Edited by BrantD

Brant - I am a Canon shooter and use the original 2.8-4.5 (the others are 2.8-4.0) a good bit underwater. It's a great all purpose lens. Better at WA than macro but capable and sharp. If the Nikon version holds true, it is worthy of your arsenal. A great lens to put on if you are diving a site where you could run into variety of large and small subjects.Keep in mind that it will probably require a large (8") dome for best results on the corners. Hopefully you can use that dome for other lenses. Mix that with a tokina 10-17 and your macro of choice and you should have the UW ranges covered!

Hey Brant

May I offer a slightly different perspective especially as you are moving to a D7200?

If you already have a Sigma 17-70, unless money is no object, I'd suggest you put the cash to either a true macro lens (Nikkor 60mm or 105mm) or a true wide-angle - as megtooth suggests, the venerable Tokina 10-17.

I wonder whether you are really going to see much difference between the 17-70 you already have, and an updated model. If the new model has a macro capability, how does it compare to one of the Nikkor macros?

I used to have a Nikkor 18-70 for my D200 and, like you, used it one or twice on trips. But always found it was something of a compromise and never very good at anything. It's not very wide - and it's certainly not very macro.

When I moved to a D300 I sold the 18-70 and bought the Tokina 10-17 and a Nikkor 60 then, later, added the Nikkor 105. I got much better results. Yes, you have to chose one or the other and inevitably would not be able to photograph something on a dive. But the shots that I did get were just so much better and I came to the conclusion that using a specific lens during a dive (one you have decided upon based on information about the dive site) will usually get you better images than going for a covering-all-the-bases approach.

As you have a 17-70 already and you're buying a top-end camera body, why not get top-end specific-to-purpose lenses to go with it: either real macro or real wide?

Just a thought......

Edited by TimG

I have a 60mm, a 105VR, a tokina 10-17, as well as the sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5. I will have two domes, midsized (7")glass and a (8") acrylic (generally,I use to use the 7"). All set up for underwater. I tend to use the sigma as my general purpose lens, more so than my 60mm. I am changing housing and buying new ports, ext. rings and zoom gears. I thought it might make sense to get the ext. rings and gears for the upgraded sigma 17-70, as the rings and gears are more $ than the lens. If I wanted to upgrade later, I would need to buy a different ext. ring and focus gear for that lens. Makes more sense to just do it now. I started looking at the lens and found the several different models. When I saw the newest model, sigma had changed the opics slightly, had reduced the barrel size, and slightly lowered its magnification, I thought I would ask here, which would be better to buy for underwater. Both are 17-70 DC Macro OS HSM, and both can still be found new. I'm looking for some advice on which would be better to buy.

thanks again.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements