aquafiles

Sony RX100 IV 4K - Control Set?

I read Adam's preview on this camera today:

http://wetpixel.com/...-compact-camera

Like the idea of the super slo-mo for critter behavior documentation

and I'm trying to decide between this and the Panasonic LX100

Does anyone know if the control set remains the same as the RX100-III?

Hoping of course that it will fit into an existing RX100-3 housing.

Thoughts?

Are you using it for video or photo? If you're using it for video, the LX100 has advantage of more zoom range because of the crop factor so it's better for macro. You will also need to pay attention to the custom white balance of the Sony since they're known to have issue when come to custom white balance for video.

For photo, the LX100 has larger sensor, not sure what Sony's 1" stacked sensor translate to in term of quality. One thing to keep in mind is the RX100M4 is more expensive, the street price of the LX100 is $799 these days, $200 cheaper than the Sony. Other things like built in timelapse on the LX100 vs ND filter on the RX100?

• Like 1

The RX100 IV - can only do 5mins of 4k video - if 4k video was something people are looking at.

Looks like 4K is here in the mainstream! WOW

5 mins of 4K recording is more than enough for underwater use. If shoot properly, most video should be shot around 30-50 seconds, definitely no more than 2 minutes, anything longer than that you might as well just strap on a goPro and record the whole 50 mins dive. I once rest my LX100 on the bottom to shoot garden eel poking out of their holes while I swim away, 4 mins and I was yawning of boredom trying to watch those little guys show themselves. If you shoot on land base like making movies, then yeah the 5 minutes could run into problem especially if you put it on a drone.

Edited by kc_moses

I was hoping that the new Mark IV would have gone back to the 28-100mm lens but of course for land use 24-70mm is as good as.

The lens of the Mark III was such that you could use the Inon lens at 24mm which is great as it gives you great field of view

The 70mm lens however is poor for macro and you would end up being a bit to close for my tastes, a bit like the LX100

Probably the LX100 price will drop further now.

For underwater video I would think none of the two cameras are going to perform better in macro but the fact you can use the Inon lens with the Sony most likely without changing port makes it the winner at least on paper

I won't be buying this one though still like the Mark II and the fact I can use the Inon lens with dome.

Nauticam has released the housing for the Mark IV. They have also announced their own wet wide angle lens but it works at 28mm. That will be good for stills however field of view is only 130 degree. I wonder if the white balance error issue is sorted or filters are still the best way forward

I read Adam's preview on this camera today:

http://wetpixel.com/...-compact-camera

Like the idea of the super slo-mo for critter behavior documentation

and I'm trying to decide between this and the Panasonic LX100

Does anyone know if the control set remains the same as the RX100-III?

Hoping of course that it will fit into an existing RX100-3 housing.

Thoughts?

You will probably find that the Mark 4 will not work properly in a Mark 3 housing. I tried it the other way round: using the Mark 3 (which I still have as a backup) with my Nauticam Mark 4 housing. Only works fractionally. I certainly wouldnt want to operate that way under water.

Edited by bubffm

I just received my RX100 IV, which I'd like to use extensively underwater, with salve strobes.

Contrast to my previous camera (olympus E-PL5) I can't find an option to limit the output of the built-in flash to 1/64, the value I normally used on the Oly.

Is it possible somehow? The most I can get out of the machine is -3stops flash correction, which is ~1/8, still a battery hog...

Alternatively, Is it possible to attach a strobe trigger e.g. via USB or program the AF assist light to blink when the flash is supposed to?

Sponsors

Advertisements