decosnapper

Rectilinear wide angle lens on FX & behind Subal glass

...yeah, I know...another "what wide angle works.." thread...

So I have a very specific requirement to shoot material with a rectilinear lens. Here's the requirements/fits with list:-

• As wide as practically possible, but NOT fisheye.
  • NOT zoom in any way or form.
  • FX frame - D700
  • Min focus 1m minimum. Closer better but not essential.
  • Subal DP FE4 glass - corner to corner sharpness at F5.6 to F8 to "no visible difference to centre of frame".

So what fits that list? Real world used it in anger experience most welcome...

I'm not sure that your wish list is actually realistic! Certainly, if you can find an option that meets your all requirements, I think you will have solved the holy grail of FX underwater imaging!

With a 4" dome on full frame, you will not get corner to corner sharpness with any current rectilinear wide-angle lens at f5.6 to f8. Of course there may be some that I don't know about, but I have tried most of them.

If you go up in size to a 6" dome, things become more viable, although even then only with the token 17mm f3.5 as Alex has mentioned.

This is with the Seacam Fisheye Port (6") at f6.3:

150410-ahanlon-0606.jpg

The corners are OK, but not wonderful....

Adam

I think Simon has an 8" dome with the Subal DP-FE.

I find the 8" is fine with an FE. But not so much with a rectilinear - although I only have experience of the Nikkor 16-35. That needs a 9" dome, the DP230.

As Adam says, Simon, you are asking an awful lot...... FX, rectilinear, 8"dome. Ouch.

My mistake-I thought the DP FE4 was 4" rather than 8".

I haven't tested it specifically, but the Tokina should work fine with an 8" dome....

I have been asked to shoot some Photogammetry sections of vehicles in the Thistlegorm next week, that no longer exist on land - for model builders to make more accurate models.

I am going to use the 20mm Nikon behind my optical corrector port. I realise that is not a big help for the original post - but I think it is the best solution - money/availability no limitation.

Alex

So it sounds like I'm asking for the moon on a stick. Here's why:-

https://sketchfab.com/models/2f76cf180a8c4dd184515d2fbeeb64bf

Looks like a very cool project!

Cheers all. Second Valentine Tank is processing right now...and the offshore Coronation wreck site comprising cannon & anchors (not all of it...) is under way...

Watch this space!

Sponsors

Advertisements