Sign in to follow this  
sameguy

Go pro light recommendation

Planning a trip to Roatan is winter and rather than drag my full size housing and strobes I'm going the gopro route. Looking for recommendations on lights. I come from a commercial photography background and understand good lights can be pricy so the fact that the lights will cost more than the camera isn't an issue. I have been checking out light and motion offerings, as well as I torch and just read a little blurb about big blue. Can someone with hands on experience direct me to a decent setup with enough power to actually produce nice shots and video? Thanks in advance for any comments.

There are many options. I would recommend that whatever lights you get, make sure they have replaceable batteries. I used to use Light and Motion, but have had so many problems with batteries dying after a year of use, that I now use Keldans. Many people find the FIX lights are a very good option too. At the moment, among my video mates, Keldans or FIX lights seem the most popular.

Thanks for the tip on fix, I'll check them out. Can someone suggest what kind of power I would need. I read one post indicating 2 1200 lum lights wouldn't cut it for daylight use. Would 3000 lum each be overkill or still not enough?

You can't have too much light. All the powerful lights have variable power settings, so you can max them out for your wide shots, and dial them back for closeups.

So the more the better makes sense to me. Guess it comes down to how much to spend. Do you think I would be disappointed With 2 2000 lux lights, I found a good deal on a SOLA set.

I wouldn't buy L&M SOLA lights. Down the road you will find the batteries don't hold a charge and then you have no option except throwing them away, as you cannot replace the batteries.

Lights are always a good investment. If you change your rig you can still use the lights from the old rig. It's best to go for the best you can get, so most power plus changeable batteries, in your budget range.

Thanks guru. I saw a deal on a set of SOLA 4000 used so I emailed L&M about replacement batteries. They said they no longer service the 4000 in any way so if they flood or need new batteries you are SOL. That's a pretty sour pill to swallow on a $1200 investment. That alone has put me off L&M forever.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements