crowey89

What port/extension ring is needed to accommodate 300MM lens

I have a 90-300 f/2.8 and am wondering what equipment is needed to use this lens in a Sea and Sea DX60 with canon 60D camera.

thanks!

Hey crowey

I have to ask, why do you want to house a 90-300?

it is quite obvious, with 300 mm one does not ned to go as close to the object than with a 20 mm lense..... :pardon:

it is quite obvious, with 300 mm one does not ned to go as close to the object than with a 20 mm lense..... :pardon:

Oh no nonononono... The image quality will deteriorate rapidly with distance. I would not suggest doing this. Wait... Were you joking? :P

Oh no nonononono... The image quality will deteriorate rapidly with distance. I would not suggest doing this. Wait... Were you joking? :P

Let's hope so eh? You Swiss - such jokers!

:crazy:

I have to ask, why do you want to house a 90-300?

I'd be more interested in learning who the heck is making a 90-300 f/2.8. It's a pretty unusual focal length (to put it mildly), and I'll be darned if I can find out who's making one of those.

As to why, I guess it's the old "it's what was available at the time" reason. A well-known and well-proven principle in experimental science.

Edited by Storker

Occasionally, one would need to protect the camera from the elements, and that would be a understandable use such a long lens, underwater, as the water column increase (the water between lens and subject) so does the loss of sharpness and color saturation, this is the main reason why such long lens are not used underwater. there are macro lenses that will actually go to 200mm, but these are intended for macro purpose (thus reducing the water between the lens and subject), your zoom, lens does not have the macro capability to be useful in this manner either.

Typically for the Canon 60D a good selection of lens would include either the 60mm macro (or more radically,the 100mm Macro), a wide angle in the 10mm to +/-20mm and a fisheye (most popular one being the Tokina 10-17mm, this is the holy trilogy for the APS-C format, anything else is nice but non essential IMO.

Edited by Viz'art

it was a joke, obviously.... :dancing:

• Like 1

Maybe OP is inquiring because these lenses are up for sale on e-bay in the $50-100 range, but minimum focus is 1.5meters, maximum image is .25 and God knows what the extended length is. The lens itself is almost 5".

OTOH, if he's interested in a long lens, the Canon 180macro does 1:1 at .48m, is 7", weighs about 3lbs. and has internal focus.

Edited by Larry C

I had a similar question. How would i house a 300mm f2.8 for my d810 in a nauticam housing.

I don't think there are any 90-300 f/2.8 lenses around, but lots of very cheap canon f/4-5.6 versions on ebay for about $80.

Cheers

Bill

I had a similar question. How would i house a 300mm f2.8 for my d810 in a nauticam housing.

i'll leave that one to Chris or Alex :blink::D

Sponsors

Advertisements