Sign in to follow this  
wydeangle

Sony AX100 autofocus problem

Sometimes when I am using autofocus with the Sony FDR-AX100 and a flat port on the Gates housing, autofocus doesn't work!

When looking at the clips after the dive, the subject can occupy 1/3 of the screen, and be nicely centered, and it is out of focus; the background is in focus even if it is relatively far away! The contrast seems to be sufficient; the camera apparently does not respond.

This seems to have happened after the latest firmware update to V3.0.

There seems to be more focus "hunting" underwater since the update. Topside, the problem does not seem to happen...

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

All help appreciated,

Tom

Edited by wydeangle

How was the visibility and the clarity of water? Often time if there are lots of particle in the water, whether is tiny bubble or sand, most cameras tend to focus hunt. I have the Panasonic LX100 and it does that from time to time. I think the new generation of camera just become more sensitive and want to focus detect "everything" in front of the camera, big or small. I ended up use manual focus with peaking and finish the rest of my dive trip without much frustration.

kc_moses,

I understand the hunting focus when contrast is low. That does happen.

My real concern is that the camera focuses on the background - perfectly sharp - when a fairly good contrasting subject occupies the center third of the frame. The camera does not focus on the subject, but instead focuses on the background at the edges of the frame.

This happens with the flat port and with the macro lens flipped in front of the flat port.

Frustrating...

Tom

If it worked before but is having difficulty after the update, I suggest you downgrade the firmware if you don't need the updates. Sometimes it also helps to focus on a lighter subject of equidistance then lock it down, then recompose.

Drew,

Thanks. I think I may have identified the problem: the operator.

Let me publicly embarrass myself by saying it could have been in MF when I thought I had it switched to AF :nea:

Not sure - going diving at the bridge next month so I can test the theory.

I need a monitor that has no whiteout when glare hits it, and has a few vital bits of info that blink. I sure miss my Pentamirror.

More next month, or Aug for sure,

Tom

Ciro,

No autofocus data yet. Probably in about three weeks - after my next dive trip.

Leading theory now is operator error...

I will report results.

Tom

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements