Sign in to follow this  
Nicool

new range of Fix Neo lights - opinions?

hi folks,

My old Sola 600 photo light is getting meaner and meaner with me.

The charging contacts are extremely difficult to connect with, and after i charged for hours and left all indicators green, when i turned on the light it started blinking red!!! Too bad, so i am looking for another light, and it won't be a Sola.

The recent announcements on wetpixel front page about several Fisheye FIX Neo light models caught my attention, in particular those two:

-Fix Neo 1500 DX SWR: 599 USD

-Fix Neo 1000 Mini WR: 299 USD

Two very different price tags i know, but i am not sure yet how much i am ready to spend.

Fix Neo 1000 Mini WR

The cheaper one seems to match quite well the specs of my Sola 600, except:

-the red light that is only 100 lumen (Sola had 250 lumen), i am thinking it's too low. If i were still shooting on Nikon D7000 OK, but this nice little Olympus OMD-EM5 doesn't have such a strong autofocus...

-the ASO (auto shut-off) feature seems interesting, but i am not sure i like it: yes it would be nice to avoid the light's lighting to ruin strobe positioning efforts, but at the same time, this turns off the light for 1 second, i am wondering whether this would be annoying, i don't realize how long it seems in real life.

Also, i am wondering how the battery holds between 2 charges (i usually dive once a week, and don't want to be re-charging the light each time).

Fix Neo 1500 DX SWR

Just looking at the specs, this light is a killer! It has all i need, plus the choice of keeping your light sealed while you charge (like the Sola) or to swap batteries for more flexibility... I am surprised it doesn't include the ASO feature, but since i am not sure i like it, that's not a deal breaker.

So specs are great, but i have no clue on the usability of such a dive light: how easy is maintenance (when you swap battery), o-rings greasing each time? Feels safe or is it a single/scary exposed o-ring? What about manipulations underwater?

And a question that applies to both lights: how reliable are the battery statuses? As you understood, this is the pain point on my current light, i cannot trust it at all.

So i would really enjoy reading any experience you may have on those lights, or on other lights of that same range if they share similar designs.

thanks

Nicolas

Hi Nicolas

I've a pair of 2000DX and a 500SF mini. The mini is a focus light, as you mentioned, the light turns off for a second when it detect a strobe light. I thinks it is powerful enough for a focus light. Battery life is enough for several dive.

The 2000DX as a wide beam only, no spot beam and red led as the SWR. This is a great video light, compact and versatile. Every diver that has seen them ask me question about it. I bought the remote too so I can manage both lights easily with my thumb. The battery can last two dive at least. The spare batteries are not that expensive and they can be charged outside the light, just plug the charger connector to the battery.

If I had to buy another light, I'll take one of the SWR model for more versatility, after about the power it depend too how much you have to spend on it. I'll advice to buy the remote, it make it so comfortable to adjust the light underwater that once you have try it, you won't do without. I've seen that Fisheye will release a compact version of the current one, likely cheaper.

You can also purchase the heads only, for example buying a blue light for night dive. so just swap the head depends of your need.

The Fix Neo lights are much compact than the Sola, and more versatile in my opinion.

Both lights you indicated have different purpose, if I had too chose, I'll purchase the 1500 DX SWR if I do both video or video and photo, otherwise for photo only I'll pick up a 1000 mini.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for your advice Clownfish

Indeed the 1000 mini could be close to covering my minimal needs, but i just wonder about the very light red light (100 lumen), not sure it will be sufficient.

cheers

My focus light (iTorch Pro 3, now discontinued) has a 1/4 output on white light of about 160 lm and on red light about the same. It is adequate for night shots, e.g. mandarinfish, but just barely. I would think that 100 lm is a little low

Yeah that's my concern, but this little "feature gap" may cause me the jump to the pricey fix neo 1500 dx :-0

Hi Nicholas,

I have the fix neo 2000DX SWR and since getting this have not used the Sola1200 with spot and wide modes.

1) The light has variable power settings from 1 to 100%

2) The Red beam also has these settings

3) I personally use the 100 mm macro with a nauticam SMC + Multiplier and with this focus light there is hardly any issue to focus on the subject.

4) Higher the power easier for the camera to focus.

So among the two that you want to buy my advice is always go for the more powerful one. And as Atobit advised SWR is the way to go.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Diggy

Hi Nicholas,

I have the fix neo 2000DX SWR and since getting this have not used the Sola1200 with spot and wide modes.

1) The light has variable power settings from 1 to 100%

2) The Red beam also has these settings

3) I personally use the 100 mm macro with a nauticam SMC + Multiplier and with this focus light there is hardly any issue to focus on the subject.

4) Higher the power easier for the camera to focus.

So among the two that you want to buy my advice is always go for the more powerful one. And as Atobit advised SWR is the way to go.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Diggy

Thanks Diggy

I understand you're happy with the operability of your lights, and also maintainability (ie caring for orings, charging time...).

What about the persistance of a charge? I mean, after a dive you're left with 50%. If you dive again 2 weeks later will you still find 50% or will it have dropped?

Now that's something i should check on. I have tried this over a few days and the charge has been the same. But not over say a few weeks or months. I can check this evening and revert.

hmmmm interesting :lightbulb:

Diggy

Nicholas,

I finally remembered and checked this morning. I last dived with the light Mid May 2015. And the charge was still exactly where it was last. I do remove the battery post dive trip.

Hope that helps and sorry for the delay in replying..slipped my mind.

Cheers,

Diggy

I've recently invested in two Fix Neo 3000DX including the remote control option - which is really cool based on my 'dry' testing. Looking forward to try them out in Sham el Sheikh in October.

I did about 50 dives with my FIX NEOS 2500DX light and i am very happy with it.

Unfortunately the first light head developed a melted contact and stoped working but got replaced immediately by Reef (KUDOS to Reef Photo and Video)

If you will use it strictly for macro then 1500 will be enough, if you can afford to pay around 850$ then i suggest you to get the 2500 DX as it will give you a bigger versatility.

As we are in process to buy two new video lights we tested the Neos 2500DX against the Hartenberger 35W HID video light with a professional exposure meter and the Hartenberger was ahead with only one f/stop

No they don't loose the charge for months and they can be used also as a great dive torch, especially at night dives or in caves to illuminate big areas.

Chris

Stay away from the Nano neo range i had the FIX Neo 500 mini and after greasing o rings just kept flooding no dust dirt hair splits in o ring cleaned properly just kept flooding great light for photography but not well built

Edited by BOYDY

I've recently invested in two Fix Neo 3000DX including the remote control option - which is really cool based on my 'dry' testing. Looking forward to try them out in Sham el Sheikh in October.

Have used my 3000DX "wet" now. No issues. Great lights and very bright. You hardly ever need them powered at 100%

Edited by bubffm

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements