Griff

OM-D E-M1 rear dial problem

I have owned 7 Canon DSLRs over the years never had a problem with any of them even after I dropped one (600D).

I have kept a Canon 700D and housing but we now use Olympus OM-D E-M10 and E-M1 in Nauticam housings.

The EM1 has a problem with its rear dial ( default to shutter and picture zoom) where it only works intermittently. I have the latest software installed. I searched the net and found it is a common problem on the EM1. I know itis covered by warranty but not happy with my first Olympus and having to get it repaired.

I know there are plenty of workarounds like changing shutter with arrow buttons and zooming pictures with front dial. I was going to try and exchange it at JB Hifi where I bought it and wondered if this problem affects later build models or the silver version?

Unfortunatly I had the same problem with the two kind of EM1 . The older and the newest silver version . Yes you can use the arrow to manage aperture and shutter speed and use the front dial to zoom pictures avoiding to use the rear dial . It's what I'm doing now .You can find the details in the very good book of Darrell Young " Mastering the Olympus Em1 " available also as a kindle .

• Like 1

Good news is JB Hifi exchanged my camera even though it was outside of 3 month period and should be sent for repair. I got the newer silver version but it may well end up the same in a few months![

quote name=girelle" post="362918" timestamp="1436077112]Unfortunatly I had the same problem with the two kind of EM1 . The older and the newest silver version . Yes you can use the arrow to manage aperture and shutter speed and use the front dial to zoom pictures avoiding to use the rear dial . It's what I'm doing now .You can find the details in the very good book of Darrell Young " Mastering the Olympus Em1 " available also as a kindle .

Unfortunately I have to resurrect this post as a second OMD EM1 rear dial is starting to play up and only works 60-70% of the time and it's the newer silver version. Question is will Olympus fix this for free as it seems to be quite common? Or just live with it and adjust with arrow keys if it packs in completely? Not impressed with Olympus reliability!! Started to use my Canon DSLRs more now but EM1 is primary underwater camera and it costs a fortune to buy a new housing for a different camera.

Pretty frustrating, isn't it? I was able to nurse mine along by spinning the dial quickly when I first turned it on until it engaged; it beat using the arrow pad and seemed to work. I managed to drop that camera into a creek, and my replacement is fine for now (but I expect it to have the same problem eventually).

I'm getting it fixed under the 2 year Aus warranty and I've been told by Olympus it's a modded part. Also getting a couple of dead pixels in the EVF fixed too!

Cool- have them check the strap lug, too. It's another common failure point with the M1.

Thanks they are giving it a full service and clean too and will check out the lugs.

I have just had the same rear dial problem with mine, as it was just over two years old I was expecting a bill for it. Even though it has been playing up for months I have only just managed to contact them regarding it, I was told if I signed up to receive their news letter and it was registered I could claim another 6 months free guarantee. So I did... I have just had the camera back with 3 faults sorted out free of charge.

Although like has already been mentioned, I have had other cameras that have been fine for years with no problems. I think Olympus could have charged me for the repairs, so from that point of view I am pleased.

Good to hear Olympus recognise the problem and help out to fix it even out of warranty.

Sponsors

Advertisements