joe_h

YS-D1 vs the new YS-D2

Hi all,

Last week I did my first big strobe investment and ordered 2 x Sea & Sea YS-D1. The next day (after dispatch) they announced the YS-D2.

I haven't received them yet but I'll have 14 days to return them once they arrive (EU law on online purchase).

Have any YS-D1 users here checked out the YS-D2? Worth the upgrade? The power output is the same and they say the buttons are improved but I think the YS-D1 buttons look much better for single-thumb settings changes.

Thoughts?

I haven't shot them myself but first comments from friends note the much improved recycling time for the new version. That would be enough for me to trade up if the cost was not prohibitive.

Good luck,

Steve

Greetings Joe

I would strongly recommend you get the D-2. I have had the D-1 for about 6 months now and absolutely loathe the on/preflash/ttl switch. I have missed more shots than I care to think about due to accidentally bumping the switch while adjusting my strobe position. It takes almost no force to move it. The power switch is much better however. I am seriously considering selling my D-1s and purchasing the D-2s. Aside from this one problem I love the strobes.

Edited by lologrande

I love my D-1 and i want a second one but my Store didn´t have one because the D-2 i coming. Know i think i will also buy the D-2.

Now that the YS-D2 is coming out, I'm sure some of you want to sell your D-1 and upgrade.

I'm located in the US and willing to buy your outdated YS-D1

I'm gearing up for a livaboard in September so offers accepted :)

Edited by GranCarnal

Now that the YS-D2 is coming out, I'm sure some of you want to sell your D-1 and upgrade.

I'm located in the US and willing to buy your outdated YS-D1

I'm gearing up for a livaboard in September so offers accepted :)

I may just take you up on that Gran. ;)

I dove with the -D2s for the first time this weekend and I thought the faster cycle time definitely made a difference for my own impatience of trying to take another photo as soon as possible, where the D1s wouldn't exactly be ready but the D2s were. They also have some minor body and diffuser improvement, I personally don't care about the different knobs, the ready light is easier to see. The audio indicator doesn't appear to be working as advertised. I only hear the audio indicator when I first turn the strobes on. So far there is no audio indicator when the strobe is ready to shoot again. In fact, the manual makes no mention of the audio feature.

Edited by Jak Crow

D1 made in Japan while the new D2 made in China.

Frankly I am surprised Sea&Sea has taken this stance and shifted their production to China. When I did my research, there was no indication at all on the Country of Origin for D2.

post-46250-0-08485800-1441875485_thumb.jpg

Still everything OK with your D2s?

My D2 works fine on the first diving day, but on the second only manual mode was possible (no TTL)

Also the cycle time was on the second and third day not as good.

Back at home I tried a D1 and everything works fine with my GH4.

So I think the D2 must be broken :(

I have problems with my YS D2 and have written on this thread.

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57102

I bought 2 set of YS D2 and used for my Raja Ampat trip. One of them will not fire after the initial 10 to 15 times at approximately 15 to 20 meters depth. It fires well when I was testing it on the LOB. But when i revert back to my old set of YS D1, I have no issues at all.

I love my YS-D2 strobes. It is too easy to accidentally bump the preflash switch on the YS-D1s, I also like the mode color light, you know you are in the correct mode on night dives.

I own a pair of D1's and have been more than happy with them.

On a recent 10 day dive trip, I saw two D2's malfunction several times (would not fire at all, would intermittently fire), and generally performed rather poorly in the sense that they were not reliable.

Take this for what it is worth, but I did see this with my own eyes.

• Like 1

I have 4 YS-D1 and 2 YS-D2, Only reliablility issue I have had with any of them is when I had some minor corrosion on a D! battery cap, it caused the strobe to misfire, resolved with a cleaning of the contacts. Otherwise flawless through over 1000 dives.

I've used the D1's since their introduction, used them in both cold (British Columbia) and warm waters, and just recently the D2's. At first I did pan on the specs as I felt there were no benefits to upgrading. Then on a recent trip, I flooded one of my D2's, totally my fault, I was still jetlagged and didn't properly clean the 0-ring after silty muck dive and water entered the battery area. So, while I I was drying out the strobe in a bowl of uncooked rice, I put one of my D1's back in service. I immediately missed the quick recycle of the D2 even when not shooting full power. My buddies and I saw a blue ring octo and you could tell in my shots that the D1's were definitely slower than the D2 as the first couple-3 were evenly lit then the D1 started to lag a bit power wise while the D2 was obviously brighter. I'm still keeping the D1's as backup but my primary shooting will be the D2s.

I was able to successfully revive the D2 after cleaning the battery compartment with white vinegar, then a douse of rubbing alcohol then an overnight soak in dry uncooked rice.

Cheers

S.

Is the D2 the same strobe as the Nikon NS-D10? Guide numbers are different, but they look the same. Help me here, folks!

Is the D2 the same strobe as the Nikon NS-D10? Guide numbers are different, but they look the same. Help me here, folks!

SB-N10 has another electronics. Some plastic parts are made in Sea&Sea style.

Edited by Pavel Kolpakov

I own two D1s and dive with them since 50 dives and had no issues with them. Did not move the switch accidently to some other mode yet. So, until now Im happy with them.

Sponsors

Advertisements