Storker

Drowned Inon Z240 - anything worth salvaging?

Does anyone know if there is a difference putting in the yellow inon o-ring and not the h20, the inon fits fine.

Go ahead and test... :)

Seriously, I think the yellow o-ring is way too thick. It may fit into the outer cap, but if you look at the space it has to seal at the strobe - "inner" battery cap (with the contacts) to the strobe compartment - it will not fit. And with the much thinner H2O o-ring the cap can be screwed down just neough to give a seal with the yellow o-ring. If you put a thicker o-ring into the cap you may loose this seal.

I have packs of 4 back up O rings for sale in the classified forum if anyone is interested.

Mark

A bit delayed, I did a partial post mortem today. Shows that the most obvious cause of death isn't necessarily the correct one.

I wasn't able to get the electronics out of the housing, but at least I removed the front glass. Which was cracked, but in such a way that it wasn't visible before I took off the rubber thingy around its edge.

I'pretty certain the strobe didn't get any whacks on that particular trip, but I have to admit that such things have happened before.

So the new hypothesis is that a small crack in the front glass has grown slowly - like cracks like to do - and on that day it had grown enough to spring a leak. So the water entered the battery chamber from the inside and shorted the batteries, and since the gas couldn't escape quickly enough through the strobe body, it extruded the O-ring from the inside. And the latter fits with the shape of the O-ring when I dicovered the leak.

At least I feel less of a fool now, so post-mortems are able to bring some kind of closure to those who witness a fatality...

--

Sent from my Android phone

Typos are a feature, not a bug

post-38245-1440331688786.jpg

Sponsors

Advertisements